Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Porter

Anyone see why you couldn't use some Crystal malt with a porter recipe?

Comments on this are welcome and hoped for:
    7.5 lb Pale Ale Two Row
    1.5 lb Brown Malt
    1.0 lb Crystal 80L (use 40/60 instead?)
    0.5 lb Black Patent Malt
    0.5 lb Chocolate Malt

NB Pellets (6.5%) for 60
    Willamette Pellets (4.5%) for 30
    Willamette Pellets (4.5%) for 10

1.057 SG for a 5 gal batch, 41.4 SRM, 30.0 IBU

I've never used brown malt before, so I don't know sweet it'll make things, hence the Crystal malt addition. I would rather lean more towards the malty flavors than the roasted flavors.
    Primary: Nothing
    Secondary: Mead... still
    Conditioning: Nuttin'
    On tap: English Bitter, Moose Drool clone
    In bottle: Ganny's Apple Sauce(d) Cider... still

I made a porter that is very similar, except no black patent, less crystal and no aroma hops. It is still the best porter I've ever had.

Brown malt won't make it that sweet, but you could just mash at a higher temperature (I think I did 155)
    My posts are definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

I would use crystal 120 instead of 80, 60 or 40. And cut back on the brown malt, that's way too much. Try 1/2 lb and see how you like it. And if you want more malty than roasty, cut your black patent back to 1/4lb or remove it entirely (I would use 1/4lb).
    Primary: Belgian Dark Strong
    Secondary: Flanders Red 10, Flanders Red 08/09
    Bottle Conditioning: Cyser
    Kegged: DIPA
    Drinking: Witbier, IPA, Flanders Red 08/09, Vanilla Brown Ale, Black DIPA, Imperial Chocolate Brown Ale, Cascade/Centennial IPA, Imperial Witbier, English Barleywine, Historical Imperial Stout, Belgian Dark Strong, US Barleywine

Hogie, how much Crystal 80 did you use?

The reasons I put the black patent in there are twofold: 1. the podcast from Mr. Malty that covered robust porters said that the difference between a stout and a porter was roasted barly vs. black patent - and that was about it. Hence I was thinking black patent was the signature malt type needed.

Now I see an idea of using Crystal 120 instead? Why that over the 80? Why cut back on the brown? Sine I'm new at this recipe building thing, I'm all full of questions.

I get why less black patent - that'll be less roast flavor, obviously. I do want some of that flavor. If I remove it, will the Crystal 120 give me that extra bit of roast flavor without going overboard?

I like crystal 120 in dark beers as opposed to lighter crystals, it has a fuller "darker" sweetness like toffee. It does not lend roasted flavours.

Black patent is not a requirement for a porter, although I prefer to have some in there.

Unless you are familiar with the taste of brown malt and like it at very high levels, 1.5 lbs seems like quite a bit for your recipe. You can go ahead and try 1.5lbs, but I recommend starting at 1/2 lb and you can adjust from there.

Again, just my opinion, but I would go with something like this:

8.5 lb Pale Ale Two Row
    0.5 lb Brown Malt
    1.0 lb Crystal 120L
    0.25 lb Black Patent Malt
    0.75 lb Chocolate Malt

I'd also drop all hop additions except for @ 60 minutes, keeping total IBUs around 35. Mash around 155 as already suggested, and you should have a malty smooth porter.

The last porter I made had tons of chocolate malt and a bit of brown malt. It has no roasted flavour whatsoever, tons of chocolate, and a bit of toasty biscuit.
    Drinking: Witbier, IPA, Flanders Red 08/09, Vanilla Brown Ale, Black DIPA, Imperial Chocolate Brown Ale, Cascade/Centennial IPA, Imperial Witbier, English Barleywine, Historical Imperial Stout, Belgian Dark Strong, US Barleywine

I used 1.5 lbs of brown in a 7 gallon batch, and will use 2 lbs next time. The brown malt can be used in higher quantities without the black patent in there. I used 120 lov crystal, but I may try a lower lov next time (as I have a lot of 60 lov right now)

here's the recipe:

This is for 7 gallons - scale accordingly

12 lbs Maris Otter
    1.5 lbs Brown Malt
    1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
    1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
    .75 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)

1.5 oz East Kent Goldings [6%] (FWH - 90 min)

SAFale US-56

Mark, your description is exactly what I think I'm looking for. Is this suggestion that recipe? If not, do you mind sharing it?

I don't want an overly roasty port, so I'd rather start on the less roasty side and work up as I feel I need to.

Since the hops are just for bittering, the type won't matter much, right? I.e. bitter is bitter.

Originally posted by HogieWan
    I used 1.5 lbs of brown in a 7 gallon batch, and will use 2 lbs next time. The brown malt can be used in higher quantities without the black patent in there. I used 120 lov crystal, but I may try a lower lov next time (as I have a lot of 60 lov right now)

here's the recipe:

This is for 7 gallons - scale accordingly

12 lbs Maris Otter
    1.5 lbs Brown Malt
    1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
    1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
    .75 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)

That's looking a lot like the base for Denny's BVIP (6 gal batch, 1.087 OG):

13.00 lbs. Pale Malt
    1.50 lbs. Brown Malt
    2.50 lbs. Munich Malt
    1.00 lbs. Crystal 120L
    0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L
    1.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt

Originally posted by JayShaw91
    Mark, your description is exactly what I think I'm looking for. Is this suggestion that recipe? If not, do you mind sharing it?

I don't want an overly roasty port, so I'd rather start on the less roasty side and work up as I feel I need to.

Since the hops are just for bittering, the type won't matter much, right? I.e. bitter is bitter.
    I'll post the recipe tonight if I get a chance, someone else sent a private request for it just a couple days ago. I really like it, and it placed 2nd in the Porter category of this year's Canadian AHA Qualifier.

As for hops, just about anything would do, but I wouldn't use noble hops. Otherwise, it sorta depends on the style you are going for and the yeast you intend to use. Magnum is a common choice for bittering and it does not impart any real flavour, but your original choice of Northern Brewer is also good.

This is what I brewed (5 gal batch, 70% efficiency, 1.064 OG):

8lb Pale Malt
    1.5lb chocolate malt
    1.5lb oatmeal
    .75 biscuit
    .75 crystal 45
    mash @152
    IBUs = 60

If I were to make it again, I'd probably do this:

9lb Pale Malt (might even sub 1-2 lb of munich)
    1.25lb chocolate malt
    .25lb black malt
    1lb brown
    1lb crystal 120
    mash @ 155
    IBUs = 45

Thank you, sir! And since I now know how to use ProMash I can adjust all of this for my efficiencies/ batch size.

Thanks again for taking the time to post this!

Holy Buckets

I have only brewed kits.. I am not a scientist yet. I see the recipe but am not sure about it. If you can send me a play by play it would be great.
    One good beer deserves another and of course another

1st attempt at Anchor Porter clone

I meant to ask about this recipe from my earlier post.
    One good beer deserves another and of course another

Originally posted by markaberrant
    That's looking a lot like the base for Denny's BVIP (6 gal batch, 1.087 OG):
    that's pretty wild. I've always thought that this would taste good as a big beer. My christmas/winter beer for next year will probably be this recipe as a bigger brew and aged on oak.

I'll jump into this one and say that black patent and roast barley belong in stouts. I prefer to use chocolate and coffee malts for my roastiness. I also prefer to use a mixture of crystal malts so that those flavors are layered. I agree withth usage of crystal 120...one of my favorites for darker brews. Also, don't forget the use of flaked barley is very useful too...great body builder.

He who has never been drunk is not a good man - Old German Proverb

Primary: Replacement Beer IPA
    Secondary: Bug Shit Bock
    On Tap: IIRA, Apprentice Amber, Pig Slayer Pale Ale, Yeast Piss Lager
    Up next: thinking....not sure yet

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast