Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Porter

Originally posted by Boerne Brew
    I'll jump into this one and say that black patent and roast barley belong in stouts.
    No offense, but black patent malt was invented for the sole purpose of making porter.
    Primary: Belgian Dark Strong
    Secondary: Flanders Red 10, Flanders Red 08/09
    Bottle Conditioning: Cyser
    Kegged: DIPA
    Drinking: Witbier, IPA, Flanders Red 08/09, Vanilla Brown Ale, Black DIPA, Imperial Chocolate Brown Ale, Cascade/Centennial IPA, Imperial Witbier, English Barleywine, Historical Imperial Stout, Belgian Dark Strong, US Barleywine

Originally posted by markaberrant
    No offense, but black patent malt was invented for the sole purpose of making porter.
    I'd say black patent is for porters not stouts - roasted barley is for stouts not porters. A small amount in the "wrong" recipe does help some beers, but not most
    My posts are definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Originally posted by Boerne Brew
    I'll jump into this one and say that black patent and roast barley belong in stouts. I prefer to use chocolate and coffee malts for my roastiness. I also prefer to use a mixture of crystal malts so that those flavors are layered. I agree withth usage of crystal 120...one of my favorites for darker brews. Also, don't forget the use of flaked barley is very useful too...great body builder.
    So... any chance of you posting your Longshot recipe?
    I'm not a hillbilly, y'all are just Appalachianally Challenged.

Originally posted by MrNate
    So... any chance of you posting your Longshot recipe?
    Hmmmm.....I dunno.......

At the very least my home PC is down right now with some motherboard and power supply issues, so it might be awhile, and the recipe is sotred on it.......

He who has never been drunk is not a good man - Old German Proverb

Primary: Replacement Beer IPA
    Secondary: Bug Shit Bock
    On Tap: IIRA, Apprentice Amber, Pig Slayer Pale Ale, Yeast Piss Lager
    Up next: thinking....not sure yet

Ah well, at least you've given me some good ideas to work on my own recipe. I'd still be interested in seeing your recipe once it becomes available. If you're willing to share, that is

I am all for sharing recipes and ideas, but if I brewed something that was THAT damn good, I'm sorry, I'd not share it.

I'm not kidding with what I'm about to say. Pretend you win the lotto tomorrow and don't know what to do with your time and decide to open a microbrew. Now you've got what has to be a commercially viable beer. Do you really want some guy who wandered on this site one day to claim the recipe is his and sue you or something? What if he beats you to the punch, wins the lotto, and makes bank off of your recipe?

Yes, I know this sounds far fetched and I am not in any way a sue-happy guy or even remotely paranoid, but I'd personally protect something like that just in case.

Go ahead and call me nutty if you want. Oh, and I think we got way off topic here
    Primary: Nothing
    Secondary: Mead... still
    Conditioning: Nuttin'
    On tap: English Bitter, Moose Drool clone
    In bottle: Ganny's Apple Sauce(d) Cider... still

Originally posted by JayShaw91
    I am all for sharing recipes and ideas, but if I brewed something that was THAT damn good, I'm sorry, I'd not share it.
    I'm not sure about the longshot comp, but AHA comp forms require you to disclose your recipe. I'd wager that the longshot entry form has a similar requirement, at least to give BBC some degree of rights to your recipe (and I don't care deeply enough to look it up myself).

Most craft brewers are pretty casual about giving out their recipes, at least to a degree. They are well aware that the methods used to brew (batch size, mash agitation and temperature control, yeast pitching rates, fermentation temperature control, even fermenter shape) have more of an influence on the finished product than Miller or Papazian let on. Even armed with a detailed recipe, a homebrewer is unlikely to be able to truly clone their beer.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia

Originally posted by Mill Rat
    I'm not sure about the longshot comp, but AHA comp forms require you to disclose your recipe. I'd wager that the longshot entry form has a similar requirement, at least to give BBC some degree of rights to your recipe (and I don't care deeply enough to look it up myself).
    Initially, the longshot does not require recipe disclosure, onyl if you win and they make your recipe. Once that happens, you do give the recipe rights over to them. If this were a case...that I was faced with losing the rights to the recipe...I would have posted the reicpe before I might be contactually required to keep it to myself; on multiple boards.

As it stands, my family traditionally does not share recipes all that willingly, so you can understand my hestitation. At the same time, I also appreciate when craft brewers share recipes, but at the same time, I never set out to clone beers, only understand what has gone into a beer to produce those flavors...so if I ask a craft brewer for a recipe, then I am not upset if I get ingredients only, instead of exact proportions.
    Last edited by Mad Scientist; 11-13-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Yeah, I never really cared for that Longshot "your beer belongs to us" requirement. I always wondered what I would be getting out of the deal.

Anyway, like I said... If you don't want to share the recipe, I understand completely and thank you for the hints.

Originally posted by MrNate
    Yeah, I never really cared for that Longshot "your beer belongs to us" requirement. I always wondered what I would be getting out of the deal.
    What you get: 5,000, and a paid trip to the GABF.

Does anyone have a peat-smoked porter recipe or know where to find a good one?
    Primary: -
    Secondary: -
    Tertiary: -
    Conditioning: -
    Next Brew: Blackberry Stout
    Drinking: O'Fallon 5-Day IPA

If you have a favorite porter recipe, add a little peat smoked malt, in place of your two row....just be aware that a little goes a long way...use no more than 1/4 pound for something lower in gravitry

I wouldn't even start with 1/4lb, try 1/8lb first. From my understanding, peat smoked malt can be very overpowering. Many other people suggest using rauch malt in a smoked porter, which is much milder, so you use a lot more. Here's a recipe from Jamil that is supposed to be quite good:

http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/...st_Porter.html
    Primary: Belgian Dark Strong
    Secondary: Flanders Red 10, Flanders Red 08/09
    Bottle Conditioning: Cyser
    Kegged: DIPA
    Drinking: Witbier, IPA, Flanders Red 08/09, Vanilla Brown Ale, Black DIPA, Imperial Chocolate Brown Ale, Cascade/Centennial IPA, Imperial Witbier, English Barleywine, Historical Imperial Stout, Belgian Dark Strong, US Barleywine

Cinnamon Porter Recipe

Anyone have a good Cinnamon Porter?

Ski season's/X-mas is coming up and I need something to keep me going/ give as gifts.
    Tea, no thanks. I'll have a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Beermakazi
    Anyone have a good Cinnamon Porter?

Ski season's/X-mas is coming up and I need something to keep me going/ give as gifts.
    Be careful on your spice addititions. I judged a stout that had spices, including cinnamon, and all I could taste was the cinnamon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast