Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belgian & French Ale

Originally posted by danno
    I've brewed this several times, it's very nice... I'm going todo it again as soon as it warms up a bit... (you know, maybe March or so...)

White Pepper Wit

2.00 Oz Sweet Orange Peel Spice 10 Min.(boil)

Danno, did you mean Bitter Curaco Orange peel or the sweet orange peel? Most other recipes for Wit have Bitter Curaco Orange.

definitely sweet, it balances the pepper. if you want to skip the pepper, then you could use bitter, but I really like the results this way...
    keep on truckin'...

Originally posted by danno
    definitely sweet, it balances the pepper. if you want to skip the pepper, then you could use bitter, but I really like the results this way...
    I used the following in my wit and felt it could have used more spice:

5 gal batch
    .75 oz Coriander
    0.5 oz Sweet Orange Peel
    0.5 oz Bitter Orange Peel
    15 black peppercorns

If I did a wit again, I'd probably want to experiment with some other spices to get more of a herbal aroma. My local brewpub makes one with basil leaves that kicks ass, I also know of another craft brewery that uses lime leaves, and a home brewer that adds a bit of marijuana.
    Primary: Belgian Dark Strong
    Secondary: Flanders Red 10, Flanders Red 08/09
    Bottle Conditioning: Cyser
    Kegged: DIPA
    Drinking: Witbier, IPA, Flanders Red 08/09, Vanilla Brown Ale, Black DIPA, Imperial Chocolate Brown Ale, Cascade/Centennial IPA, Imperial Witbier, English Barleywine, Historical Imperial Stout, Belgian Dark Strong, US Barleywine

Thanks, all good ideas.

What I am trying to replicate is the Sam Adams Winter Wheat. It has more body and a little more spiciness than the Hoegarden. I thought to use a little cascase at flameout to get some of the citrusy flavors along with the orange peel. I am adding some (0.5 lb) of Crystal 20 for body. Lime leaves is another good idea, but they have such a distinctive flavor that I am not sure I want to try it at first.

anyone have an extract delerium tremens (or other delerium) clone? would be curious about it if you do and are willing to share.
    <<The Mark of El Beero>>

El Beero: Here's my best (only!) attempt at a DT clone

7 oz german light munich malt
    5 oz Belgian biscuit
    3 oz Belgian aromatic

9 lbs. ultra light LME
    1 lbs. Candi Sugar Clear
    1.5 oz. Styrian Goldings boiled 60 minutes.
    0.25 oz. Czech Saaz boiled 30 minutes
    0.25 oz Czech Saaz boiled 15 minutes
    0.25 oz Czech Saaz boiled 5 minutes

Yeast: White Labs WLP 530 Belgian Abbey
    - 0.40 Oz Corriander Seed Spice @ 10 min
    - 0.14 Oz Ginger Root Spice (dried and ground) @ 10 min
    - 0.14 Oz Grains of Paradise @ 10 min

OG 1.076
    FG 1.018

This is a hybrid of two or three extract clone recipes I have found on the net. I did not have the grains of paradise on brew day, so I made a snap decision to sub. 0.1 oz of wild Chinese pepper, and 1/8 tsp of ground cardamom. It smelled yummy! I had to use a brew-belt heater to keep the fermenter above 74.

I just racked this to secondary today after 9 days in the primary and snuck a sample. It is darker than DT, and had a distinct alcohol flavor, sort of winey. But the spice profile was pretty close. I can't wait til this mellows out. I hope to bottle next week and I will add a little US-56 to help the tired belgian yeasties along with carbonating.

This is my first attempt at this style.
    Update: It's been sitting in a dark, cool place for several weeks now, and it is by far, my favorite extract beer I've ever made. It is not, however, a Delerium Tremens clone. It's too sweet, too dark, and too spicy. I'd probably call it a dubbel. Very tasty... a house favorite! I did an all grain version which is in the primary now, using pilsener malt. I have high hopes. If I were to attempt this again with extract, I would use all pilsner, maybe a little torrified wheat.
    Last edited by Saint-Thomas; 04-13-2007 at 09:22 AM.

I brewed this last Sunday using a bunch of odds and ends (grains) that were on hand.

4 lbs. 2- row (Rahr)
    3 lbs. Pilsner (Weyerman)
    1 lb. Golden Promise (Simpsons)
    1 lb. White Wheat (Rahr)
    1/2 lb 6-row (Briess)

Mashed at 153 degrees for 70 mins.

Sparged for 50 mins. collecting 7 gals.

Boiled for 15 mins. then added hops.

1 oz. 4.2 % Styrian Golding- 60 mins.
    1/2 oz. 4.0% Spalt - 25 mins.
    1/2 oz. 4.0% Spalt - 10 mins.

Volume boiled down to 5.5 gals and at 80 degrees pitched WLP 565 Belgian Sasion Ale yeast.

SG - 1.050

Originally posted by Vienna Lager
    Mashed at 153 degrees for 70 mins.

SG - 1.050
    Let us know where this finishes gravity wise, I'm curious what a higher mash temp will do.
    Primary: Belgian Dark Strong
    Secondary: Flanders Red 10, Flanders Red 08/09
    Bottle Conditioning: Cyser
    Kegged: DIPA
    Drinking: Witbier, IPA, Flanders Red 08/09, Vanilla Brown Ale, Black DIPA, Imperial Chocolate Brown Ale, Cascade/Centennial IPA, Imperial Witbier, English Barleywine, Historical Imperial Stout, Belgian Dark Strong, US Barleywine

Transferred to secondary yesterday and SG was 1.014. This morning the sleeve was up in the air lock so there will be some minor activity. Expect to end up around 1.010 for FG.

Tweek, This looks real good: how did it come out? I've been considering making a mini golden ale batch and potentially making it a sour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweek
    5 gallon Extract version of a belgian Golden. This one comes out similar to Chimay Grand Cru.

1 lb Bamberg Munich Malt 6L
    lb Belgium Aromatic 20L
    1 Lb Bamberg Wheat 2L

7 pounds British Light Dry Malt
    1 lb Belgian Candi Sugar

boil
    1 oz fuggle
    1oz hallertauer

last 15 minutes of boil
    1 oz hallertauer

White Labs platinum Series Belgian Golden Ale Yeast

this yeast is a seasonal so get it when you can.
    Graduate of Geology.
    Undergraduate of Brewing.

Primary: Oudu Bruin, German Alt
    condition:TartRaspberryAle, Saison, Hefeweizen
    on deck: Hmm..

here's one... I had a dream about this and somehow ended up with the ingredients to brew it one day without any planning at all. Was even better since I was going to a group brew and it required little equipment, small amount of ingredients and even less attention I wanted an Amarillo hopped session ale with a big spicy belgian yeast character in the nose.

Entered as a 16E Belgian Specialty (Belgian Session Ale) in a recent competition and it scored 42 of 50

OG 1.042
    FG 1.009
    4.3% ABV

10lbs 2 row - thin mashed at 149 for 60 mins - batch sparged to collect 5.5 gallons

1oz of leftover NZ Pacifica 6% AA for 60 mins (about 20 IBUs)
    1oz Amarillo 9.3% AA at 10 mins (about 7 IBUs)

ferment with Belgian Ardennes (LaChouffe) for a week - I started mine about 64 and let it rise naturally after a day, maybe got to 75

I titled this one Holy Shit Balls as those were the first words uttered at the first whiff. pretty much exactly what I wanted...

hope somebody enjoys it!
    I suffer from Cenosillicaphobia- the fear of an empty glass!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12