Thread: Wheat Beer

Wheat Beer

BJCP Style Guidelines

15a: Weizen/Weissbier
    15b: Dunkelweizen
    15c: Weizenbock
    15d: Roeggenbier (German Rye Beer)

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category15.html
    Last edited by danno; 05-05-2005 at 09:17 PM.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

--Ernest Hemmingway

Eddy's Wee-Wee Wheat

Recipe Specifics
    ----------------
    Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.03
    Anticipated IBU: 23.4
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
    Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    47.1 4.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
    47.1 4.00 lbs. White Wheat Belgium 1.040 3
    5.9 0.50 lbs. CaraPils America 1.035 10

Hops
    Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
    1.00 oz. Mt. Hood Whole 5.30 23.4 60 min.

Yeast
    -----
    WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

Mash Schedule
    -------------
    Mash Type: Single Step

60 minutes @ 152 F

When I make a hefe here's what it is. It's a big crowd pleaser.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

--Ernest Hemmingway

Dunkel Weissbeir

5.75 Lbs wheat DME
    6 oz 65L German crystal
    4 oz Vienne malt
    2 oz honey malt

1 oz Hallertau
    German wheat yeast

60 min Hallertau

Ver good lawnmower beer
    Warning! This beer might be fatal to bud drinkers!

The gene pool needs chlorine

my last Hefe

Here is a brief rundown of my last Hefe Weizen. I have made this brew every spring for the past 5 years and it always turns out nice.

10 gallon all-grain version

10.5 lbs. weyermans light wheat
    7 lbs. Breiss 2-row malt
    1/2 lb. Breiss Dextrin malt
    1/4 lb. Crystal 60

I hop with either Haullertau or Tettnanger. Approx. 14 ibu's.

I use WLP300 Hefe Weizen yeast.
    I ferment the first three days at 68 degrees and then drop it to 65 for the rest of the primary.
    JUST BREW IT!!!!!!!!

Thumbs up

Extract Recipe:
    Lemon Lingerie (your female guests / spouse will love this beer)

6 lbs Wheat Liquid Malt Extract (60% wheat / 40% barley)

1 oz Cascade 5.9% @ boil
    ½ oz Cascade @ 30 minutes
    About 10 Cascade pellets @ 55 minutes
    (60 minute boil total)

White Labs American Hefeweizen Yeast (WLP 320)

Ferment at 68 degrees

Add the zest of 2 organic lemons when transferring from the primary to the secondary. The way I do this: Start with ORGANIC lemons; you don’t want a bunch of wax in your beer. Wash lemons, then steam them for about 5 minutes to help sterilize. Wear clean rubber gloves to handle / zest the lemons from here. Use a fine zester to take off the first layer of the lemon. Don’t get too aggressive; a little zest goes a long way, and you don’t want any juice – just the yellow skin. Put the zest into the empty secondary & transfer beer on top of it. Give it at least a week in the secondary.

No need to add a lemon when you serve; the zest adds a nice lemon flavor to the beer without the acidic lemon juice. Great summer beer, and, like I said, woman do back flips for this stuff…

Variation: Use only one lemon for, obviously, less lemon flavor.
    Last edited by spencer; 08-01-2004 at 01:04 AM.

Originally posted by Beer Garden
    Spencer, Chubber,

Did you steep any grains with this or did you just bring the water to a boil and add the Extract and boil hops?

And Chubber, how did zesting the lemons work out?

Thanks,

BG

Sorry, I used the recipe exactly as listed above except that I used a Belgian Wheat yeast, non-flocculating, so I will get suspended yeast and some fruity flavors as well. An American Ale yeast would get a cleaner taste, whichever you prefer.

I gave it a taste test a couple of days ago when i racked to the keg. Very lemony. You may want to use only one lemon and taste it when it comes out of the secondary on the way to the keg. If it isn't lemony enough, put a few large zests in the keg to boost it up. They mostly float.

Zesting works well if you have a really sharp potato peeler. Take small swipes and try not to take up any white pith. I scraped some off with a paring knife if I got it on there.

Once it carbonates a little in the keg Ill have to see how it goes. Ill report back.

Speaking about the german rye beer.. im curious if it is anything like the rye tasting "kvass" I drank while in Russia. Thats sort of a soda pop like drink there that tastes like rye bread... I think it has 2% alc or something low like that. Kids drink it!
    '06 Batch: RAUCHBIER 6.1%. Status: 2 Bottles left
    '06 Batch: PILSNER 5.0%. Status: 0 Bottles left
    Next Up: Honey Hefewiezen?, Grodziskie Piwo, Root Beer, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier

Been drinking my Lemon Lingere now. It is mighty tasty. I thought that the 2 lemons zest was too strong, and it was for the first week or so, but then it has mellowed out quite a bit and it is now the second flavor you pick up, after the wheaty esters. Needs a good dose of carbonation in order to really carry the flavors on the palette.

This is a great beer. I made mine with the German Wheat yeast, so there is plenty of Hefe floating around the glass, and the layers of flavor from that are just mixed with the lemon.

Hello again. I’ve been out of the mix for a while, but I’m glad to hear that the Lemon Lingerie is a hit. To answer a few questions and comment on a few comments:
    • Lime seems a little much – I agree to stick with the lemons. Maybe work the lime into a Corona clone or something…
    • No grains in this recipe. Extract only. You should be able to pull this one off for under $30 out the door. I do, however, get the extract in there before a boil. 150-degree water is usually when I add the extract. Any hotter & you could be burnt by splashing water.
    • Sounds like some of you are using big pieces of lemon – cool! I have a very nice zester that was a gift from Japan, but any fine grater should do the trick. My zest comes out like moist parmesan cheese, rather than chunks from a knife. Two lemons produce less than teaspoon of zest. Remember, all you want is the very first layer. When you are done zesting a lemon, you should have a softer lemon left over, not a ruined piece of fruit. ORGANIC is key here to avoid the wax.
    • I agree on the carbonation. Lots of carbonation brings out the lemon in the beer. WLP320 has a lot of citrus anyway, but I really like the lemon in the nose – especially on a hot summer day.
    • As far as variations on the yeast, I have had the best luck with WLP320. The others I have tried came out too dark. I like the golden, hazy look of a good hefe…
    • I have been using hop cones or plugs lately, and I just brewed this one again (from memory! – not like it is hard, but beer from memory is pretty cool!) and used plugs. I am a big fan of hops, and I stepped-up the dosage on this one, so we’ll see…
    • Finally – I’m really glad the name has stuck. Any homebrewer would really appreciate the fun about 10 of us had sitting around a table drinking the brew trying to name it. I was long gone when my buddies pounded on my bedroom door with the “perfect” name at some dreadful hour.

Got bored today. Wanted to brew, had no time to do an AG batch, so I threw this extract batch together inside the LHBS. Let me know what you guys think of this slightly over-hopped and slightly over-big honey wheat.

[Gotta say the honey had one hell of a strong aroma after the boil was done.]

I'm pretty psyched about this one, considering I threw it together inside the LHBS without any reference.

04-30-2006 Orange Blossom Special

A ProMash Brewing Session Report
    --------------------------------

Recipe: Orange Blossom Special

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
    -------------------------------

06-C American-style Ale, American Wheat

Min OG: 1.030 Max OG: 1.050
    Min IBU: 12 Max IBU: 17
    Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 8 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
    ----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
    Total Extract (Lbs): 7.50
    Anticipated OG: 1.057 Plato: 14.14
    Anticipated SRM: 6.4
    Anticipated IBU: 19.1
    Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Actual OG: 1.057 Plato: 14.14
    Actual FG: 1.012 Plato: 3.07

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
    40.0 3.00 lbs. Briess DME- Weizen America 1.046 8
    40.0 3.00 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey Generic 1.040 0
    13.3 1.00 lbs. Cooper's DME - Light Cooper's 1.046 3
    6.7 0.50 lbs. Crystal 10L America 1.035 10

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
    1.00 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 4.20 12.1 60 min.
    1.00 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 3.77 6.0 30 min.
    1.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.30 1.0 15 min.
    1.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.30 0.0 5 min.

Yeast
    -----
    White Labs WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale

Notes
    -----
    3/4 cup Malto-Dextrin powder in the beginning of the boil
    Add Honey with 10 mins left in boil
    Last edited by BrewDog; 04-30-2006 at 11:52 PM.
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

Slightly over on both the OG abd the IBUs but not to worry, the recipe looks yummy.
    Toxic Waste Brewery

Currently in Primary: Not a Thing
    Currently in Secondary: zip
    Bottle Conditioning: nothing
    Currently Drinking:Nada
    What's Next: nothing what so ever

The Liver is Evil, therefore it must be punished....

For those who don't know, I'm also a Luthier.

I just wanted to mention that my neighbors (and their wives) all raved over the orange blossom braggot. I agree with them that this is one tasty beer. The hefe yeast and the orange blossom honey really complement each other to make a nice, light, great tasting braggot.

Next time I'm gonna formulate it as an AG batch and add about a lb of CaraPils for a little more body.
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

Yesterday I brewed the AG Version of the Orange Blossom Honey Hefeweizen. CampAJohn stopped by. I was running late, and he had to leave for a while, but he stayed and helped with some of the pre-brew setup and then came back later on just after I had added my bittering addition. It was a long brew day.
    (Thanks for the help, John!)

Malt:
    4.50 lbs. Wheat Malt
    3.00 lbs. Pale 2 Row
    3.00 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey (added at flameout)
    1.00 lbs. CaraPils
    0.50 lbs. Crystal 10L

Hops:
    1.00 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 4.20 60 min.
    1.00 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 4.20 30 min.
    1.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.60 15 min.
    1.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.60 0 min.

Yeast
    White Labs WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale

Mash:
    Dough in 8 qts at 132F to hit 122F protein rest for 15
    min. Then infused to 152 for 45 mins.

Other/Misc:
    I added a whirlfloc tab at 15 mins. I know weizens aren't supposed to be clear, but I wanted this one to be a bit clearer than the prior version.

Session notes:
    I missed my efficiency badly again on this batch (2nd batch in a row). It should have been a lot higher OG. (I sparged way too fast, and only measured a 59% efficiency going into the brewpot) I then did a very small batch sparge to get some more of the sugars that were still in the mash. The extra batch sparge ended up bringing my efficiency to 66% -- better than it was but far below what I am usually used to getting. At least this time, I knew in advance how much extra time would be needed to boil down the extra wort. I held off and waited off my bittering addition until that extra time had passed. Given that adjustment, I at least managed to nail the boil volume this time.

Sigh. That year off from brewing has me way off of hitting my volume and efficiency targets. I guess the answer to this is more practice..... Ok, twist my arm...
    Last edited by BrewDog; 10-18-2007 at 01:59 AM.
    -B'Dawg

A new one Im thinking of

Peachy Wheat

4lbs 2 row
    4lbs wheat
    1lb vienna

1oz Hallertau (60)
    1oz Styrian Goldings (15)

plan on racking over peach puree in secondary

5 gallon batch
    SG 1.050
    IBU's 23.6
    SRM 3.8
    Brewing:
    Primary:: YPA (yankee pale ale)...Xtra version!!
    Secondary:: Realbeer ESB
    Conditioning::
    Ready:Corky's Happy wife..(tks corky this stuff is good...almost gone...lol), Peachy wheat...
    Next up::Something!!

Originally posted by BrewDog
    Got bored today. Wanted to brew, had no time to do an AG batch, so I threw this extract batch together inside the LHBS. Let me know what you guys think of this slightly over-hopped and slightly over-big honey wheat.

[Gotta say the honey had one hell of a strong aroma after the boil was done.]

I'm pretty psyched about this one, considering I threw it together inside the LHBS without any reference.

04-30-2006 Orange Blossom Special

First post here on the RB forums, been lurking for about a month or two now...

BrewDog, I really liked the look of this recipe, and decided to use brew it after enjoying some Shiner Hefe with a few friends on one of the first really hot summer days here in Houston.

This was my 6th brew, and my 1st Hefe/braggot.

I altered it just a bit, as follows.

Malts:
    3lbs Munton's Wheat DME
    1lb Munton's Extra Light DME
    3lbs Wildflower Blossom Honey
    12oz CaraPils 8*L

Hops:
    1.00 oz Hallertauer 4.0 AA 60 min
    1.00 oz Hallertauer 4.0 AA 30 min
    1.00 oz Czech Saaz 3.2 AA 15 min
    1.00 oz Czech Saaz 3.2 AA 5 min

All else (yeast, malto-dextrin, honey addition, etc) stayed the same.

Brewed 5/19/07 and STILL bubbling/holding krausen

This will be bottled after secondary and enjoyed throughout the summer as it matures.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast