Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheat Beer

spencer, thanks for the recipe. Lemon Lengiere is going to be one of my next two batches. (along with a Celis White clone.) Just ordered the ingredients a few moments ago for both. Ill let you know how it turns out. By the way, what was the final verdict on how many lemons to zest. Did you end up thinking 2 was good, or do you now use one? Thanks again!! Peace,Chris
    "the only people for me are the mad ones..." -Kerouac

proud member of the High Plains Drafters!

on tap. Jamils Choc Haz. Porter. Belgian Golden Strong, Jim Wagner's Vanilla Oatmeal Stout..
    secondary. Fat Tire Clone.
    primary. English Pale Ale.
    on deck. Doc's Wit, Belgian Blonde, Munich Helles.

I'm brewing some Fast Eddy Wee Wee Wheat this weekend!

[update]
    well that was two weeks ago and even though my efficiency sucked and I had to adjust to make 7 gallons (instead of 10) I hit OG perfectly pitched with SafAle 05 (US-56) to make an american wheat. I used .25oz each of some leftover cascade and centennial hops at 15mins and flameout for some aroma. turned out pretty good.
    Last edited by HarkJohnny; 06-13-2007 at 12:07 PM.
    I suffer from Cenosillicaphobia- the fear of an empty glass!

Mount Isaac-

Welcome to the site- I think you'll really like that recipe. I did and just brewed up the AG version of it 2 weeks ago. I'll be transferring to secondary tomorrow.

Let me know how it turns out.
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

Originally posted by spencer
    Extract Recipe:
    Lemon Lingerie (your female guests / spouse will love this beer)

6 lbs Wheat Liquid Malt Extract (60% wheat / 40% barley)

1 oz Cascade 5.9% @ boil
    Ĺ oz Cascade @ 30 minutes
    About 10 Cascade pellets @ 55 minutes
    (60 minute boil total)

White Labs American Hefeweizen Yeast (WLP 320)

Ferment at 68 degrees

Spencer, I just ordered all the ingredients for your Lemon Lingerie. Was looking for a good wife beer and this looks to be just the ticket! Thanks for posting, and will let you know how she likes it.

Hello,

What did the ABV turn out to be for the Lemon Lingerie and the Orange Blossom? Both look awesome...

The Lemon Lingerie came up about 4.75%. It had enough OG to hit 5%, but it terminated a little early for me due to temp stress. I know more now, I could probably get a cleaner ferment out of it.

I did the AG version of the Orange Blossom recently. It had an OG of 1.066 and an FG of 1.011 for an ABV of 7.24%.

It doesn't taste that high, though. Women seem to love that beer.
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

Quote Originally Posted by BrewDog
    I did the AG version of the Orange Blossom recently. It had an OG of 1.066 and an FG of 1.011 for an ABV of 7.24%.

It doesn't taste that high, though. Women seem to love that beer.

If I weren't married, I'd love that the women love the 7.24% beer....

I think I'll have to make both of them....

Quote Originally Posted by spencer
    Add the zest of 2 organic lemons when transferring from the primary to the secondary. The way I do this: Start with ORGANIC lemons; you donít want a bunch of wax in your beer. Wash lemons, then steam them for about 5 minutes to help sterilize.
    Do ya think using those new ziplock veggie steamer bags will do the trick?? Tomorrow will be the end of the 1st week in the primary, and am going to rack to secondary...

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'd like to bounce this off you guys. I stay pretty busy and I don't get to brew very often. I make big batches and have to make them count. Anyway, I had a flop recently...brewed a hefeweizen with extract that was obviously past its prime. It turned out way too dark and tasted off. I was so bummed, and I threatened to throw out the rest of the extract. But instead I kept it in the freezer just in case.

Well, now it's been about three months since I brewed, and my next one on deck is my first AG brew, but I don't have my equipment ready yet. I'm really jonesin' to brew but I'm stuck. So temptation gets the better of me. I said "what the heck", and I got out the questionable extract and some other ingredients I had around, and I threw this batch together. It's about to come out of the primary, and I can't wait to try it. But I don't even know what to call it.
    Well, here it is:

(10 gal)
    10-12# Munton's Wheat LME
    2.5# Munton's Light DME
    1# Caramunich (Durst, I think, maybe Weyermann)
    .5# Chocolate Wheat
    .5# Briess Chocolate
    (& I meant to add some Carawheat, but I don't know where it ended up)

1 oz Cascade 6.9% ---60 min
    1 oz Brewer's Gold 7.7% ---60 min

split into 2 carboys, one got Wyeast 3068 Weih. Weizen, the other got Danstar Nottingham

...OK, so there you have it, some kind of wheat beer. What is it? Wheat porter, Wheat Brown? A really loose interpetation of Dunkelweizen? I really don't know! But i know it'll be good! Ok, well, it may taste like armpit, I don't know. I figured the darkness won't matter for this one, and the roasted grains will hopefully downplay the extract twang...maybe? Well it's gotta taste better than that wide-miss-hefe. Man, I telluwhat, it was hard to get thru 15 gallons of that stuff.

Oh, well, here's hopin'!
    -cecil

Never take a Baptist fishing with you...he'll drink all your beer. It's better to bring two, then they won't drink in front of each other. ;)

Primary: American Old Ale (?)
    Drinking: Fresh out :(
    On Deck: APA

It looks closest to a brown porter or a brown ale. Chocolate malts and crystal, with only bittering hops.
    You could always call it a "fail ale", because it fails to get in any style categories.
    It sounds interesting, I might try an all grain or partial version in a while.
    Primary: Spiced Wheat and nUber Stout
    Secondary: Eisbock (till Christmas)
    Bottle Conditioning: Nothing
    Drinking: Bad Maths Brown Ale take 1 an 2, nUber Stout, Coal Porter,
    Up Next: Probably a Pale Ale

Thanks for the good word, DB, although until I try a sample I'm gonna try to avoid the word "fail". It really doesn't seem to fall into a category, but today I found a clone recipe for Wit Black, and that seems similar. Has anybody ever tried that one? Care to testify?

By the way, I'm gonna consult the hydrometer tonight, and if it's down below 1.012 I'm gonna keg it. When I try the sample I'll report back. I've got my fingers crossed.

Oh, yeah, and I remembered, I used Carafa I Dehusked and Choc Wheat, no chocolate. I've never used either, so I'm REALLY flyin' by the seat of my pants! What a rush!
    -cecil

Never take a Baptist fishing with you...he'll drink all your beer. It's better to bring two, then they won't drink in front of each other. ;)

Well, while my "Dark Enigma Ale" was finishing out I got busy. Just kegged it yesterday. And, yes, it's a bit of a disappointment, though not an entirely unexpected one. I had trouble chilling it down with my 70-degree tap water...go figure, huh? I have plans to build an elevated chill water tank to feed ice water through my chillzilla, but haven't done it yet. Anyway, my wort came out somewhere in the 90s, and I pitched the yeast anyway. Yeah, you guessed it...Day 2, big blowoff in carboy #1... Day 3, BIG blowoff in carboy #2. So it fermented a little warm. Summer in SW Arkansas is a drag.

The one with the Nottingham yeast turned out kinda funky and tart, but maybe it'll mellow after a while in the keg...we'll see. The one with the Wyeast 3068 is better...maybe it's more forgiving of warm temps.

On the bright side, the beer has some nice nutty, chocolaty notes and a really pretty tan head. Hopefully a little age will bring it around.
    -cecil

I wanted to make a wheat with a little caramel flavor to it, this is what I was thinking:

6.6 lbs wheat LME
    .5 lb crystal 60L
    1 oz tettnang 60 min (4.4%)
    Wyeast 3056

Thoughts or suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Trashman
    Thoughts or suggestions?
    Just me, but I think you have too much wheat malt. Those more skilled will tell us why this won't work well, but most Weizens are at least 60-40% wheat to barley.

S.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast