Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Red

Irish Red

BJCP Style Guidelines

9D. Irish Red

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category9.html#style9D
    Last edited by danno; 05-05-2005 at 07:39 PM.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

--Ernest Hemmingway

CRA = (Conlan's Red Ale)

6lbs LME
    .5lbs 10l Crystal
    3oz roast barley
    .5oz sazz (bittering) (i know, bare with me)
    pinch of irish moss (15 min)
    .5oz hallertau (aroma, half at 5, half at flameout)

white labs irish ale yeast

60 min boil. the roast barley gives it a nice rich red color, the hops are very light, i know, also sazz arent normally a bittering hop but they worked great in this.

very easy to drink, very smooth, nice fruity tones in the aroma, great beer to sit and drink... and drink.... and drink
    Last edited by burritosandbeer; 11-16-2004 at 08:39 AM.
    How do we keep our children from realizing we are the people they should avoid?

Irish Red

This will be my starting recipe for Irish Red. I'll post the final recipe when I brew it.

Amber LME - 6.6#
    Crystal Malt - 1.5#
    Chocolate Malt - 1/4#
    Toasted Malt - 1/4#
    Roasted Barley - 1/4#
    Hops - ? (maybe Northern Brewer or Tett)
    Yeast - ? (some kind of Brittish or Irish Ale yeast)

I like to start with a simple recipe and then tweek it to see what happens. If anyone else changes this and it's worth posting please do so.

-- I.Ed --
    Last edited by Ilwaco Ed; 02-16-2005 at 01:46 PM.
    I try to please as many people as I can. Misspellings are placed in my posts on purpose for those who like to find them.

Ed - check your PM's.

-Eddy
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

--Ernest Hemmingway

Thanks, Eddy. Editing has been done.
    Ed
    I try to please as many people as I can. Misspellings are placed in my posts on purpose for those who like to find them.

brewed this today. looks pretty, and my water is still cold enough that I got to 66ºF through my homemade CFC...

Brewing Date: Saturday June 04, 2005
    Head Brewer: danno
    Asst Brewer:
    Recipe: Irish Red number 1

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
    -------------------------------
    09-D Scottish And Irish Ale, Irish Red Ale

Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.060
    Min IBU: 17 Max IBU: 28
    Min Clr: 9 Max Clr: 18 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
    ----------------
    Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00
    Total Grain (Lbs): 21.00
    Anticipated OG: 1.056
    Anticipated SRM: 14.0
    Anticipated IBU: 28.2
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
    Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Actual OG: 1.055 Plato: 13.46

Actual Mash System Efficiency: 81 %
    Anticipated Points From Mash: 56.01
    Actual Points From Mash: 60.48

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    85.7 18.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
    4.8 1.00 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2
    2.4 0.50 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
    2.4 0.50 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
    2.4 0.50 lbs. CaraRed German 1.034 20
    1.2 0.25 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
    1.2 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt Belgium 1.030 500

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1.50 oz. Hallertau Northern Brewerer Whole 8.50 24.9 First WH
    2.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 3.70 3.2 10 min.

Amount Name Type Time
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    0.25 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
    -----
    WYeast 1272 American Ale II
    keep on truckin'...

One of my favorite beers is Rickard's Red, brewed by Molson's in Canada - also Carlsberg Red if you can find it.

This weekend I'm attempting to make a Red Ale clone;

10 lbs 2 row Pale Malt
    1/8 lb (1/2 cup?) Roasted Barley
    2 oz Kent Goldings (4.3%) for 60 minutes

Hoping for an OG of around 1.052, if I hit that the 2 oz of Goldings in a 6 gallon boil should net me about 32 IBUs. A bit more hop than the 17-28 IBU target ... but I'm a recovering hop-head of the Czech Pilsener variety!

No finishing or aroma hops in this style, which is a huge departure for me, I'll have to tie my hands to something for the last 15 minutes. LOL!

I'm using Wyeast Irish Ale yeast.

Let you all know how it turned out in a month or so.
    www.homebrewersretail.com - 2 row always $1.10/lb (Canada Malting)
    We now carry Wyeast Activator packs and 5 Star products.

Advice/critique of Rickard's Red recipe

Just made a clone of Richard's Red Ale this Saturday. Any advice or opinions is appreciated.

May 27th 2006:
    Took 10 lbs. 2 row pale malt & 1/2 cup roasted barley to mash in my cooler with 15 quarts H2O @ 168F. Initial temp only 147F had to add 5 more quarts to bring to 152F. Mashed for 1 hr, final temp. 149F.

Learning’s - My 54 quart cooler is way too big, too much surface area, need smaller cooler so I don't have to add so much water. 2:1 ratio should give me a highly fermentable wort, with a medium body.

Sparged with about 4 gallons H2O @ 173F, collected 21 quarts (I had 3 gallons in one pot and 2 1/4 gallons in another - had about 1 gallon more wort, but ran out of pots)

Learning - Buy bigger pots, why dump wort?

Initial pre-boil gravity 1.048

Boiled for 1 hr with 2 oz of Kent Goldings (4.1% AA).
    3 gallon + 1 oz = 31.6
    2.25 gal. + 1 oz = 42
    So pro-rating that I get (31.6*3/5.25) + (42*2.25/5.25)=36 IBUs

I use this calc. for IBUs www.strandbrewers.org/techinfo/hopcalc.htm

Cooled in tub with ice for 45 min. to 66F, pitched Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast.

OG (after boil) = 1.059
    Yield to primary 15 quarts
    Fermenting nicely...

June 3rd 2006:
    Racked to secondary - looks good and red, smells great!

Some time between June 3rd and 21st - Whoops! The recipe called for 8lbs of 2 row, I bought 10 because it came in 5 lb bags - didn't mean to add it all - just realized this, but I added too much hop IBU's for the beer I was trying to replicate anyway, so the added malt sweetness should balance that bitterness.

June 21st, 2006: Bottled 13 quarts with approx. 2/3 cup of corn sugar. Nice and dark red, smells malty, tasted the hydrometer sample - nice and sweet, not overly hopped. I think I've achieved what I wanted! Can't wait to taste it!

F.G. 1.014 for an Alcohol level of 4.6 % by Weight (American calc. standard) or 5.9% by Volume (Canadian calc. standard).
    75% Attenuation.

For next time:
    -Use my new propane burner to boil full batch at once
    -Collect full amount of wort for full 5 gallon (19 l) batch
    -Use 8 lbs of 2 row? (I'll defer that decision until I taste this batch)
    -Harvest yeast from existing batch for pitching
    -Finally (after 19 years) buy a bench top capper - this hand held, 2 leaver type capper is for the birds and doesn't work well on bottles with "bulges" on the neck.

Cheers, Beers ... and Rick Mears! (these are a few of MY favorite things Julie Andrews!)

June 28th - Tried my first AG ‘Red Ale’ last night. It was good, although not enough CO2 after only 1 week bottle conditioning. …but it wasn’t Red, more brown – like a Newcastle Brown Ale.

Here’s my theory – because I didn’t have a big enough pot for the full 6 gallons, I threw out the last gallon or so of lautered wort. That last bit would have been the lightest wort and lightened my colour, so I collected only the darkest part of the wort. Probably also why my OG was 1.059.

Don’t get me wrong – probably the best beer I’ve made – but it’s not Red Ale.

July 3rd - Tried my 2nd today, bottled 12 days now. Awesome! Lushious, creamy head that stays with the beer and slides down the glass (like a Caffery's), definately a Brown Ale, bit of a nutty taste, similar to a Porter I once had. I think I'll re-name this batch, Nut Brown Ale. It's a keeper!
    Kul
    Last edited by thekulman; 07-03-2006 at 11:00 PM.

Brewed my work-in-progress Red Ale again this past weekend. Several changes to the recipe;

10 lbs. 2 row pale malt
    ½ lb carapils
    1/8 lb roasted barley
    1 oz. Kent Goldings 4.1 AAU - 30 minutes
    1 tsp. Irish moss flakes – 15 minutes
    1 package Danstar Nottingham dry ale yeast

Had a very thin mash at 152 F, collected 6 g (23 l) pre-boil
    4.75 g (18 l) to primary
    O.G. 1.053
    Expected F.G. 1.008 (from Danstar website)

Used carapils for body/head retention this time.
    Drastically reduced hops to let malt sweetness come through, no bittering hops, full 1 oz at 30 min. as flavouring hops, no aroma hops. I got this hop schedule from another Red Ale recipe I’d seen on the net, so it’s not untested.

…Let’s see what happens this time.

Aug 20th - racked to secondary, fermentation pretty much complete. Tasted, very good, there is the malt sweetness coming through and the hop level that isn't too bitter or overpowering.
    Last edited by thekulman; 08-21-2006 at 11:15 AM.

Originally posted by thekulman
    Brewed my work-in-progress Red Ale again this past weekend. Several changes to the recipe;

10 lbs. 2 row pale malt
    ½ lb carapils
    1/8 lb roasted barley
    1 oz. Kent Goldings 4.1 AAU - 30 minutes
    1 tsp. Irish moss flakes – 15 minutes
    1 package Danstar Nottingham dry ale yeast

Had a very thin mash at 152 F, collected 6 g (23 l) pre-boil
    4.75 g (18 l) to primary
    O.G. 1.053
    Expected F.G. 1.008 (from Danstar website)

Used carapils for body/head retention this time.
    Drastically reduced hops to let malt sweetness come through, no bittering hops, full 1 oz at 30 min. as flavouring hops, no aroma hops. I got this hop schedule from another Red Ale recipe I’d seen on the net, so it’s not untested.

…Let’s see what happens this time.
    I like your grain bill, but the hops might be a little low. Did you calculate the IBUs? For a 1.053 Irish Red, you should be around 20-25 IBUs.

Yes, Promash says this style should have 17 - 28 IBU's, my recipe has only 10.1.

The last time I made it I used 2 oz of the same hop for an hour, it was too bitter (36?), I wanted to reduce that and going by the beer I'm trying to replicate, Rickard's Red, I notice that it has a malt sweetness and not too much hop bitterness, but some hop flavour.
    That's why I elected to use only 1 oz for only 30 minutes this time.

You're from Sask, so I know you've likely had Rickard's Red, what do you think of my plan?

Kul

Originally posted by thekulman
    Yes, Promash says this style should have 17 - 28 IBU's, my recipe has only 10.1.

You're from Sask, so I know you've likely had Rickard's Red, what do you think of my plan?
    Your low IBUs are probably very comparable to a Rickards. Your gravity is probably pretty close too. HOWEVER, I highly doubt Rickards is all malt; Molson more than likely uses sugar and/or corn for a portion of the fermentables, which of course reduces maltiness and thins the beer.

So it's just a guess, but my thought is that this one will be too malty, as opposed to your original which was overly bitter.

I think you are very close to brewing a top-notch, classic Irish Red that will blow a Rickards out of the water.

Originally posted by markaberrant
    I think you are very close to brewing a top-notch, classic Irish Red that will blow a Rickards out of the water.
    Flatery will get you everywhere! My sister lives in Regina. My father is leaving tomorrow to visit her.
    If my beer was bottled I'd send 2 out with him for you to pick up ... maybe next time.

Kul

have you ever thought about adding some crystal to that grain bill??
    the roasted barley will give you that reddish hue you're looking for, but what about the maltiness, and caramel of a nice red?
    just a thought.
    the bank is after me like flies on a ribroast.... ahhhh, F*%# it!
    -Cousin Eddy

Yes, I've thought of that.

Problem is that my LHBS store has Crystal - 1 type and they couldn't give me an answer as to what Lovibond it was (I wanted 60, or medium).

And I don't want to go mail order for just crystal. I've have to find another supplier for it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast