Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Red

Anything other than a light caramel (30L or less) would be too sweet/dark in my opinion. The malt stands out in an Irish Red due to the lack of flavour and aroma hops.

Originally posted by markaberrant
    Anything other than a light caramel (30L or less) would be too sweet/dark in my opinion. The malt stands out in an Irish Red due to the lack of flavour and aroma hops.
    So you're suggesting a light caramel, approx. 30L for malt sweetness (1/2 lb?) and still add the Roasted Barley for colour?

My roasted barley must be about 500L. Just 2 oz in my last batch turned it brown! I'll use 1 oz next time, with the crystal.
    www.homebrewersretail.com - 2 row always $1.10/lb (Canada Malting)
    We now carry Wyeast Activator packs and 5 Star products.

Originally posted by thekulman
    So you're suggesting a light caramel, approx. 30L for malt sweetness (1/2 lb?) and still add the Roasted Barley for colour?

My roasted barley must be about 500L. Just 2 oz in my last batch turned it brown! I'll use 1 oz next time, with the crystal.
    I wouldn't use ANY crystal in an Irish Red, but that's just me.

I would experiment with amounts of CaraRed, Biscuit and/or Special Roast to give it some toasty/malty character.

If I was able to sort out my character grains, I'd start thinking about subbing some base malt for Munich to really push the malt profile.

As for colouring, aim for about 14 SRM and certainly no more than 17. Use ProMash or BeerSmith to nail down the right amount of roasted grain.

I was "this" close to brewing an Irish Red next week, but I decided to take a brew break until mid-November.
    Primary: Belgian Dark Strong
    Secondary: Flanders Red 10, Flanders Red 08/09
    Bottle Conditioning: Cyser
    Kegged: DIPA
    Drinking: Witbier, IPA, Flanders Red 08/09, Vanilla Brown Ale, Black DIPA, Imperial Chocolate Brown Ale, Cascade/Centennial IPA, Imperial Witbier, English Barleywine, Historical Imperial Stout, Belgian Dark Strong, US Barleywine

Just brewed this a couple weeks ago, and someone asked for the recipe so here goes:

**Warning to hop heads: This is a very lightly hopped beer. You probably won't like it. **

10# Maris Otter
    4oz Crystal 60
    2oz Roasted Barley (considering bumping this up to 3)

1/2oz East Kent Goldings @ 60 min (FWH)*
    1/2oz Fuggle @ 30 min
    1 tsp Irish Moss @ 15 min

Mash @ 155 for 1hr

Pitched w/ magic fairy dust (Wyeast Irish Ale yeast will work in a pinch, but apparently won't attenuate as much)

9 days in primary
    18 days secondary in a corny, with the last week or so being in the fridge to cold condition.

OG 1.050
    FG 1.010

*first wort hopped. I made a thick mash that yielded about 1/2 gal of sweet wort that I drained into the kettle with the hop plug and steeped for 30 minutes or so (not fired) while I sparged.

NOTE: Do NOT under any circumstances attempt to brew this recipe. It may cause you to lose your mind and put strange chemicals in your beer for no good damn reason. Making beer is akin to rocket science, and I cannot be held responsible for what may happen if you fail to appreciate the gravity of this warning.

I know of no other brewer who has replicated this recipe and lived to drink it. It's just too damn complicated.
    Last edited by MrNate; 03-02-2007 at 09:43 PM.
    I'm not a hillbilly, y'all are just Appalachianally Challenged.

Originally posted by MrNate
    10# Maris Otter
    4oz Crystal 60
    2oz Roasted Barley (considering bumping this up to 3)

Mash @ 155 for 1hr

Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast

OG 1.050
    FG 1.010
    80% attenuation sounds impossible based on your yeast, recipe and mash schedule.
    Drinking: Witbier, IPA, Flanders Red 08/09, Vanilla Brown Ale, Black DIPA, Imperial Chocolate Brown Ale, Cascade/Centennial IPA, Imperial Witbier, English Barleywine, Historical Imperial Stout, Belgian Dark Strong, US Barleywine

I didn't correct for temp or anything (measured at around 75-80f), but other than that it is what it is. Swing it 4-8 points for operator error if it makes you feel better.
    I'm not a hillbilly, y'all are just Appalachianally Challenged.

Originally posted by MrNate
    Swing it 4-8 points for operator error if it makes you feel better.
    It doesn't hurt my feelings, believe me. I gave your recipe a quick glance and the numbers don't jive.

I just think it would be a shame if a newbie attempted your recipe and did something drastic (ie; beano) to hit your posted gravity.

Allright everybody Im trying to brew a good Irish Red...let me know what y'all think

Water: Spring Water

1tsp gypsum in the boil

.5lb Muntons Pale
    .5lb Malted Barley
    .5lb Crystal 60L
    .5lb Carapils
    2oz Roasted Barley

Steeped in 2.5 gallons for 30 min at 150

3lbs Amber DME
    6lbs Light DME
    1lb Light brown sugar (flameout)

.5oz Magnum (60)
    .5oz Cascade (60)
    .5oz Fuggles (15)
    .5oz Fuggles (Flameout)
    .5oz Fuggles (dry hop)

1tsp Irish Moss (15)

Wyeast Irish Ale

Predicted OG 1.080
    SBU's 48.1
    SRM's 15.3

Like I said everybody let me have it ...I want this one to be right before I brew it...
    Thanks in advance
    Will
    Brewing:
    Primary:: YPA (yankee pale ale)...Xtra version!!
    Secondary:: Realbeer ESB
    Conditioning::
    Ready:Corky's Happy wife..(tks corky this stuff is good...almost gone...lol), Peachy wheat...
    Next up::Something!!

Correction...

1oz Fuggles at (15)
    Brewing:
    Ready:Corky's Happy wife..(tks corky this stuff is good...almost gone...lol), Peachy wheat...

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category9.html#style9D

What kind of Malted Barley? 99.9% of the barley used to make beer is malted. The rest is flaked or roasted.

I'd go with all light DME and use the grains to get flavor & color. You could sub CaraVienne or CaraMunich for the CaraPils for a good flavor & color contribution. There are other malts that are used in small quantities sometimes too (Biscuit, Special B, ...). Munich or Vienna malt can also be used to add to the malty flavor.

The style guidelines indicate usually no hop flavor and low hop aroma. If you want to stay close to style I'd drop the 15 minute addition and combine the last two at flameout.

The OG range for the style is 1.040 to 1.060 and the average BU/GU ratio is about 0.45. You are well over the top if that is where you want to be.
    -
    RDW, the worst that can happen is that you have to actually 'buy' beer.

Drinking: Coal Porter, American Amber
    Primary:
    Secondary: Saison
    Conditioning: Pale Ale, Bohemian Pilsner Lager
    In queue: Orange Tripel, Imperial Stout, IPA

Originally posted by larin1477
    Like I said everybody let me have it ...I want this one to be right before I brew it...
    Looks pretty good for an English Barleywine or Old Ale. Or if you dropped all the Fuggles and switched the yeast to 1728, it could pass for a Strong Scotch.

Hi;

Did you mean .5 lbs Unmalted barley?

It looks like a good starting point. I would just change 2 things.

1. - put the gypsum in with the steeping grains rather than in the boil
    and
    2. - Most Irish Reds have low to mid IBU's. I shoot for about 18 - 20 (< half my starting gravity of approx. 1.045). I usually just use 1 oz Goldings (East Kent if you can get them) for 60 minutes and that's it - mayby .25 - .5 oz as flavouring 15 minutes from the end.
    But the style doesn't account for any at flameout of dry hopping (no aroma hops).

But having said that, it looks good and I sure it will turn out an amazing beer! Enjoy and keep us posted!

Kul

p.s. - silly question, but you crushed your steeping grains right?
    www.homebrewersretail.com - 2 row always $1.10/lb (Canada Malting)
    We now carry Wyeast Activator packs and 5 Star products.

Ok 1st im an idiot..(no I really am just ask my wife...lol)...The style I wanted this to be in in an American Amber...not an Irish red...(thats where I got the 48 IBU's) I know the OG is still high but hey why not?

to answer a couple of questions

Nope I really meant Malted barley (U.S. 6 row)...(at least thats what my supplier calls it) I guess as opposed to flaked barley

I don't know why I keep saying "gypsum in the boil"...I ALWAYS add it right before I steep

And since I ask more stupid questions than anyone ...I can honestly say "no question is stupid"

but yes I crush the specialty grains...
    Thanks again to all
    W
    Brewing:

why add muntons pale to the steep?
    My posts are definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Originally posted by larin1477
    Ok 1st im an idiot..(no I really am just ask my wife...lol)...The style I wanted this to be in in an American Amber...not an Irish red...(thats where I got the 48 IBU's) I know the OG is still high but hey why not?
    Call it whatever you want, I say it looks like a damn tasty beer. Brew on!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast