Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May 7--Youngs Special London Ale

May 7--Youngs Special London Ale

those of us at the the bigfoot tasting settled on Youngs Special London Ale for May, likely followed by a hefeweizen (Schneider Weisse?) for June.

Just wanted to put this out there so people had time to buy bottles for May, but if people have problems with Youngs we can do something else.

Info: May 7, 4:30 eastern, 1:30 pacific. we'll be using BrewMonkey's chat program again (http://opforsoldier.com/Chat.html).

I'm still open to ideas about other chat programs. This one is awesome because it is easy for everyone to use, but I think it's too bad there is no way to save the transcript.

from Young's: Young's Special London Ale, 6.4% abv. A golden brown strong ale. Vinous hoppy nose. Powerful flavour full of hops and fruit. Lasting bitter finish giving way to toffee notes.

Maris Otter pale ale malt, phenomenal amounts of Fuggles and Goldings hops. Goldings hops are added during cold storage. Yeast is added during bottling to continue the maturation as a live ale.
    Last edited by studentofbeer; 04-07-2005 at 12:35 PM.
    -eric

I hope to be in on this one but my neice graduates from college that day. It may be the first tasting that I'll have to miss.
    Of course If I bring my laptop......

I didn't realize I picked one of these up last week. I am enjoying it for the first time tonight. This is a great beer...

how do these work? everyone buys a selected beer, and responds on-line with reaction?

Yeah - there's a chosen beer for the month, and everyone goes out and gets one or two or three, and meets online at the preferred time - 4:30 EDT on the first Saturday of the month - and pops them open and talks about what they're tasting. Pretty cool, eh?
    So many beers, so little time off...

www.michaelolsononline.com - Drop in and say hi! WAY better than the old one.

Originally posted by YamahaXS
    how do these work? everyone buys a selected beer, and responds on-line with reaction?
    it's a live chat not just on the message boards, so it's lots of fun because you are reacting immediately, chatting it up and learning things about the beer as you go.
    -eric

Again, It is really a fun and eductional time. I recommend it.

i'll try to make it, but don't wait up. 4 yr old and an infant usually require nurishment at about that time.

edit: yes, it does sound like fun.

oops i just realized that 3:30 my time. I should be able to do that.

Of course If I bring my laptop......
    ...and a brown paper bag...
    They say you must take the bitter with the sweet - I say I'll take my bitter by the pint!

On tap: Blue & Gray Classic Lager
    On tap: Sweet Cherry Stout
    On tap: Hard Cider
    In Secondary: More Cider!
    In Primary: Mead (Raspberry)

I hope to catch at least the beginning of this one...
    What care I how time advances; I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

tried to find one of these Youngs at the lhbs and all they had was the Oatmeal and double chocolate no ESB..

Wasn't able to get any either but plan to stop in anyway.
    They say you must take the bitter with the sweet - I say I'll take my bitter by the pint!

On tap: Blue & Gray Classic Lager
    On tap: Sweet Cherry Stout
    On tap: Hard Cider
    In Secondary: More Cider!
    In Primary: Mead (Raspberry)

bummer you couldn't find it. it looks like the beer in this picture . Young's only bottle conditioned ale i think.
    -eric

I may not participate today so don't wait on me. I am currently in the middle of chapters 5 and 6 of the dissertation. and unfortunately, my topic is NOT beer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast