Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: May 7--Youngs Special London Ale

I'll be there with a bottle I bought in 1999 when I was in England. Should be interesting.
    "Bring a pitcher of beer every seven minutes until somebody passes out. After that, bring one every ten minutes." Thornton Mellon

Originally posted by YamahaXS
    I may not participate today so don't wait on me. I am currently in the middle of chapters 5 and 6 of the dissertation. and unfortunately, my topic is NOT beer.
    oh c'mon it'll help... that's what im telling myself. i have a lot of outlining to do before im even halfway ready for my final tuesday.
    -eric

Sorry I missed it! I did not get home from the Graduation trip until late and I was tired from the 3 hour drive each way and being in the sun all day. Got slightly burned. This is the first one I have missed. I hope it went well!

we missed ya chaz, but yeah it went pretty well. pretty universal thumbs up for this beer. a few people had bottles passed the best by date, but stod had one he bought in london like 6 years ago and reported it still was tasting good. some with older bottles found a more vinous character, while mine, with a best by of May 05 seemed a bit brighter with hints of lime and green apple, though also some nice earthy and even salty flavors.

everyone was a little curious about the "phenomenal amount of hops" phrase--it's a hoppy beer but not HOPPY like we tend to think of it. But given the age of some of the beers, plus the British ingredients and typical British restraint, it was hoppy for a British beer.

thanks to everyone who attended!
    -eric

I agree, Student. In a traditional sense, it is hoppy, but compared to even a standard APA, let alone some of the American IPAs out there, it's pretty mild. I think it's a great example of a well balanced beer.

I have yet to have an 1845, how does it compare?

1845 is much darker, as well as somewhat roasty and earthier. in my mind it's closer maybe to an old ale or a stepped up ESB, whereas SLA seems like a pumped up best bitter. 1845 is a heartier beer in my mind, great for stews and meats, whereas I think SLA is a bit brighter and sweeter. it probably depends on your mood, but i think i prefer SLA to 1845, and in general i'm a fullers guy. both are very tasty.
    Last edited by studentofbeer; 05-08-2005 at 07:33 PM.
    -eric

After being at the chat in observer mode (as I wasn't able to get any Young's) the descriptions from the other participants definitely leave me wanting to try it.

Not to be totally dry or at least in the right mode, I enjoyed a Fuller's London Pride while attending.
    They say you must take the bitter with the sweet - I say I'll take my bitter by the pint!

On tap: Blue & Gray Classic Lager
    On tap: Sweet Cherry Stout
    On tap: Hard Cider
    In Secondary: More Cider!
    In Primary: Mead (Raspberry)

I really like the 1845 and I think it is the best beer that we have tasted during the online sessions. But I'm also a Fuller's guy. I generally prefer Fullers pubs but there are some excellent Youngs pubs too. Buckingham Arms comes to mind. Right Richard?

Who all attended the tasting?

i'm having another SLA as i finish up studying for my last final, and man is it good. this one is different from my first for some reason-- really big bubbles in the head that disappeared to nothing. seems a lot like a cask-conditioned beer, lots of amazingly bready malt and not as much hoppiness. good stuff tho.
    -eric

Who all attended the tasting?
    If I recall correctly it was Stod, Studentofbeer, myself, and I'm sorry, I can't recall the fourth. Sure wish we could archive these chats. Fret also dropped in for too short a visit.

BTW, have we decided on the choice for June 4th?
    They say you must take the bitter with the sweet - I say I'll take my bitter by the pint!

On tap: Blue & Gray Classic Lager
    On tap: Sweet Cherry Stout
    On tap: Hard Cider
    In Secondary: More Cider!
    In Primary: Mead (Raspberry)

I was the fourth person at the tasting. That was a fantastic beer. I guess we should check the poll results to see what the choice is for next months tasting.

PS. For those at the tasting, I just had GI 17 year ESB on Cask this evening and it was amazing.

Originally posted by zoom6zoom
    BTW, have we decided on the choice for June 4th?
    Chicago members should be forewarned that the weekend of June 4th is the Lincoln Square Maifest...

http://www.mayfestchicago.com/

S.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Originally posted by steveh
    Chicago members should be forewarned that the weekend of June 4th is the Lincoln Square Maifest...

http://www.mayfestchicago.com/

S.
    The Mayfest is in June?
    "Martinis are for squares, man."

I think they got tired of unpredictable weather a couple years ago. Dunno.

S.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

What is the choice for June? I was sorry to have missed the last one. I'll be there for June though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12