Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July 23--Ommegang Hennepin

July 23--Ommegang Hennepin

OK folks, I know we've gotten a bit off track, but we are going to do a mid-month hennepin tasting and then resume our regular schedule for Aug. 7.

I know some may have problems getting hennepin and i encourage people to try to trade for it. In August we are going to do Schneider Weisse, so hopefully that is more readily available.

So, the details are:

July 23-- 4pm eastern, 1pm pacific.

We are going to use AOL instant messenger. There are lots of options out there but we kind of have to agree on something. I'm still open to discussions about what to use, but AIM is free, many people have it and it shouldn't be too hard to install and use. I still think it would be best to use IRC but I recall a lot of people had trouble figuring out how to use it.

You can download AOL instant messenger here: http://www.aim.com/
    -eric

Is this still a plan, and is $4.99 too much for a bottle of Hennepin?

S.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

$4.99? Decent Price for a 750.
    "Martinis are for squares, man."

Originally posted by threecb
    $4.99? Decent Price for a 750.
    That's what I thought.

As a footnote - or precluder (izzat a werd?) to anyone who is joining in Saturday, I noticed that the Henn's label strongly advises a 50F serving temp. I only wish my Belgian style glass hadn't bit the dust.

Looking at the Ommegang web site, I noticed that they seem to be very open to contact and opinion on their brews - maybe we ought to inform them of this tasting, see if anyone at the brewery may want to join in?

S.

Originally posted by steveh
    maybe we ought to inform them of this tasting, see if anyone at the brewery may want to join in?
    Done - we'll see if anyone responds!

S.

Yikes! I gotta try to find a bottle!

Well, I'm out on this. Just found out the party that I'm going to starts at 1:00.
    Guess I'll have to take my bottle with me and do a tasting with my wife at the party. Ought to confuse the hell out of the macro/corona drinkers.
    "Martinis are for squares, man."

yep, this is still a plan, for those who can make it. $4.99 is a good price. i remember about 2 years ago these bottles used to be $4 (a steal!) but at most of the local liquor stores i see them for $5.50 or so.
    -eric

No contact from the Ommegang brewery - should we hold it against them?

S.

ok folks, if you've got a bottle of hennepin now is the time! put your AIM name down or IM me at general factotum.
    -eric

Hmm, nobody like Hennepin?

S.

You guys realy missed out if you didn't at least pick up a bottle of Hennepin - it's an outstanding Belgian style brew. Student and I had a mini parallel and it was fun. We both think this is worth having around all the time - highly complex and flavorful. If you like Duvel, give this little cousin a try.

S.

steve and i also talked a good bit about food pairing-- this is a phenomenal food beer.

the ommegang site lists some pairings (http://ommegang.com/index.php?mcat=1&scat=3) including asian and indian cuisine, but steveh and i were talking also about the possibility of some really good grilled salmon. This beer could work with almost anything--salad, burger, oily fishes. good stuff.

we both enjoyed this beer a lot. tons of complexity, great flavor, and very drinkable. all in all, an excellent combination.
    -eric

And you guys all missed out!

S.

Sorry I missed it! I called one of my local paint stores yesterday and they had 9 bottles. I never made it out to pick some up as we were in the middle of the office move from hell. I finished at 8 last night and headed directly to the beach. I called a place down herer this morning that I thought would be the best bet and no luck. I ended up staying on the beach all day and just got in. I needed the R & R. But I had intended on sitting in anyway. Sorry I missed you guys.
    Schneider next time? I'll be there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast