Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stouts

I'm brewing a clone recipe of KBS provided by the brewmaster at Founders (as soon as I'm done making a 10 gallon starter for it) and it calls for debittered black malt as well as some 120L, roasted, and chocolate. In this case, there's also coffee, real chocolate and bourbon soaked oak chips. Maybe the debittered allows other flavors to come through without overpowering?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegobrew
    I'm brewing a clone recipe of KBS provided by the brewmaster at Founders (as soon as I'm done making a 10 gallon starter for it) and it calls for debittered black malt as well as some 120L, roasted, and chocolate. In this case, there's also coffee, real chocolate and bourbon soaked oak chips. Maybe the debittered allows other flavors to come through without overpowering?
    From my personal experience with DE-bittered black, it seems to have a very mild flavor when compared to standard black patent malt, it still has that nice black malt flavor but as you would expect from the name it lacks the "bite" normally found in black malt.
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

I love Goose Island's Bourbon county stout. I looked on their website and saw that they claim to use de-bttered in it. I'm not trying to make a clone by any means-but it's never a bad idea to use a favorite for the basis of a homebrew.
    "Nothing matters
    but flopping on a mattress
    with cheap dreams and a beer."
    -Butowski

Bottled: Maiden Voyage Imperial Stout, Dumpster Fire Cherry Ale & Belgian Dubbel
    Primary: Nothing-YIKES!
    On Deck: American Chauvinist Ale & Demon Concubine Black IPA

I know it's not actually a stout but I'm looking for a new Belgium "1554" clone recipe. Any ideas where to get it??? And also I am new to brewing"haven't even done my first batch yet.....but would that be a hard first batch? Oh and has anybody here had the lazy magnolia "sweet potato stout" by chance?? I'm wondering if it's good. Sounds intriguing

Quote Originally Posted by The collector
    I know it's not actually a stout but I'm looking for a new Belgium "1554" clone recipe. Any ideas where to get it??? And also I am new to brewing"haven't even done my first batch yet.....but would that be a hard first batch? Oh and has anybody here had the lazy magnolia "sweet potato stout" by chance?? I'm wondering if it's good. Sounds intriguing
    There are a couple recipes here:
    http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/...ad.php?t=10416

I have found if you search with google it will find any if they are out there. The ones in the link don't look to bad for a first brew, my first brew was extract with specialty grains.

Also, your best bet would be to create new threads for questions that aren't on topic. Some members won't see this if they aren't interested in stouts.
    "You hands and feet are mangos, your gonna be a genius anyway." Phish

Bottled: a little craft beer, cider
    Keg: Belgian-ish pale ale, Sunday Morning Ale
    Primary: Imperial Cream Stout, Falconers Flight IPA
    Secondary:
    Up next: something, something good, maybe
    Down the road: some kinda sour

Thanks for lookin sully And the advice... I'm still new to the forum stuff lol. So that seams like a do-able first brew? Not too complicated?

Thanks for lookin sully And the advice... I'm still new to the forum stuff lol. So that seams like a do-able first brew? Not too complicated?
    Collector, are you an extract brewer?
    "Nothing matters
    -Butowski

Bottled: Maiden Voyage Imperial Stout, Dumpster Fire Cherry Ale & Belgian Dubbel

Oh and has anybody here had the lazy magnolia "sweet potato stout" by chance?? I'm wondering if it's good. Sounds intriguing
    I love their pecan brown ale, but I've never tried the sweet potato stout. I'll look for when I go through MS in a couple of weeks.
    Stouts in general are great first beers to brew. With their dark color and roasty flavors lots of flaws can be covered up. I don't know much about 1554 but it can't be too complicated. Use 2 cans of extra light extract, steep 1/4 pound of Carafa II and maybe 1/4 pound chocolate malt. An ounce of Hallertau for bittering, maybe an ounce at 20 minutes and you're done. Safale 05 would work for your first beer, after you get more into it you can start trying different yeasts.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Not to mention-stouts are delicious! GO BEER!
    "Nothing matters
    -Butowski

Belhaven Scottish Stout - 1st shot at a clone

brewed today:

5 lb golden promise
    7 lb maris otter (because I ran out of GP)
    12 oz Dingemanns chocolate malt
    10 oz Briess roasted barley
    2 oz Simpsons 55L crystal

Aurora, IL city water, carbon filtered
    Infusion mash in 4.5 gallons, 150 F, 60 minutes
    Direct Fire to mashout at 170
    3 qts vorlauf
    4 gallons sparge

1.5 oz First Gold, pellet, 8.0 AA, 60 minutes
    1.5 oz Styrian Goldings, leaf, 4.2 AA, 30 minutes
    1.5 oz Styrian Goldings, leaf, 4.2 AA, 15 minutes
    1.5 oz Fuggle, leaf, 4.9 AA, 5 minutes

1.075 OG, 60 IBU

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast, pitched onto cake from 60/, 2nd batch on the yeast.
    Last edited by Mill Rat; 04-10-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,
    Primary: Schwarzbier
    Secondary: Dortmunder, Hopweizen
    Keg Conditioning: Dunkelweizen, Roggenbier, Okto, Ord. Bitter
    On tap: Alt, Hefeweizen, Cigar City Maduro clone, Mild
    Bottled: Mead, Quad Rajet, Granola Bar Braggot

Too much of everything is just enough.
    - J. Garcia

Update on the Belhaven clone. I completely forgot about this batch sitting in primary in the basement. Was looking at the 60/ I brewed as a "starter you can drink" and trying to figure out what I had pitched onto the 60/ yeast cake. Then - oh yeah - that one! It was about as clear as a stout gets, 1.020 FG for about 70% ADF (not bad for this yeast), good balance for a flat beer, so it went straight into a keg. I think it's a winner.
    Last edited by Mill Rat; 05-24-2011 at 10:36 PM.
    On deck: a clone of Carolina Beer Co's Rye Stout, clone of Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter,

- J. Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by Mill Rat
    Update on the Belhaven clone. I completely forgot about this batch sitting in primary in the basement. Was looking at the 60/ I brewed as a "starter you can drink" and trying to figure out what I had pitched onto the 60/ yeast cake. Then - oh yeah - that one! It was about as clear as a stout gets, 1.020 FG for about 70% ADF (not bad for this yeast), good balance for a flat beer, so it went straight into a keg. I think it's a winner.
    Awesome, and CRAP thanks for the reminder i need to keg my Rye pale ale lol!
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

Mill Rat, how'd your stout come out? I'm starting to look around for a good stout recipe to riff off of, not sure how I'd mimic your recipe into a partial mash though. I'm hoping to make a big beer closer to the end of the Summer so it can sit and age for when the temperature starts dropping outside. Got any recommendations/advice?
    Two ciders please, I'm thirsty!

On deck: Soon Cider
    Fermenting: None
    bottled: Old and dusty something rathers
    Secondary: None
    Kegged: Carbonated Water (enjoying home made soda syrups)

Malty, you don't need to partial mash this one. The color malts will steep just fine, and you replace the Gp and MO malts with liquid or dry extra light extract. IIRC, its about 3 lb extract to 5 lb malt, so about 7.2 lb extract. Depending on your local H2O, you may want add some chalk to bump your carbonates.

- J. Garcia

What does bumping up carbonates do for the beer? I've never looked into it.

On a side note, my mill came in! Following Corky's advice I started from the coursest setting. The grinding plate is not perfectly flat, so every rotation has mixed results but I'm just gonna do my best.
    Two ciders please, I'm thirsty!

On deck: Soon Cider
    Fermenting: None
    bottled: Old and dusty something rathers
    Secondary: None
    Kegged: Carbonated Water (enjoying home made soda syrups)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345