Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Hops

Serious Hops

Um.. so where is the thread with the recommendations of the super hoppy beers? Imperials, Double IPAs and such. Im sure theres gotta be several floating around the board somewhere but my searches didnt really find what I was looking for. Anybody got any recommendations for a die hard hop fan? Pliney (both) clearly are high on any list. Hercules, Moylens, Stoudts... But super hoppy doesnt always mean great tasting. Who balances the fruit best of all?
    On the chest of a barmaid in Sale
    Were tattooed the prices of ale
    And on her behind
    For the sake of the blind
    Was the same information in Braille

If you can find it the Rogue I2PA is phenomenal.

Stone's Double Bastard is impressive as well.
    So many beers, so little time off...

www.michaelolsononline.com - Drop in and say hi! WAY better than the old one.

Interesting, but I wouldn't include the Doublr B on a hop list, just an "over the top" one. By the way Fret, you mention the DB AND you have a pic of the Bigfoot, hmmm...... a man after my own heart. Relax........ anyway, yes the Pliny's have to top the list for hoppiness ( west coast style ). I am currently having a Moylan's Hopsickle Imperial which I must say is delish. For some reason I enjoy an equal amount of malt to back it up. That's why I love(d .. WAAAAAAAAH!!!, sorry) the Frank's. Stoudt's is an east coast which is not as much of a gotcha!, both on the nostrils and the tastebuds. The Rogue is fine as are many. As always it's a personal taste. Hope you find yours.

I was delirious before... Stone Ruination, Bear Republic Racer V ( also Racer X, but I don't think that's ever been bottled). I'm out of time now but I KNOW I'll think of more.

Check out Pliny The Elder and/or Pliny The Younger by Russian River, 120 Minute IPA aby Dog Fish Head, Dreadnaught IPA by Three Floyds and Hop 15 by Pizza Port (not bottled so if you are not in Carlsbad or Solana Beach sorry...).

Middle Ages Wailing Wench, fresh. Way better than the X anniversary beer.
    "Martinis are for squares, man."

Yummy and fruity, not too much malt to impede the hops:
    Anderson Valley Hop Ottin
    Stone IPA
    Dogfish 60 min
    Lagunitas IPA
    Hark's Insane IPA

Over the top hops:
    Stone Ruination
    Avery Eleven
    Grant's Hopzilla
    Great Divide Titan
    Dogfish 90 min
    I suffer from Cenosillicaphobia- the fear of an empty glass!

This is interesting Top 50 Double IPA's

I can barely find 15% of this list in stores or bars around here though. Why not bottle some of this stuff? Is this just a supply and demand thing? Not a lot of bud drinkers venture into the double IPA catagory Im assuming?
    Last edited by Insidious Rex; 10-05-2005 at 02:18 PM.
    On the chest of a barmaid in Sale
    Were tattooed the prices of ale
    And on her behind
    For the sake of the blind
    Was the same information in Braille

I just picked up some Legend Imperial IPA (from Richmond, VA) this week but haven't sampled it yet. The guy at Norms told me that Legend insists on their brew being refrigerated at all times, so they don't stock a lot of it.
    They say you must take the bitter with the sweet - I say I'll take my bitter by the pint!

On tap: Blue & Gray Classic Lager
    On tap: Sweet Cherry Stout
    On tap: Hard Cider
    In Secondary: More Cider!
    In Primary: Mead (Raspberry)

I found the Moylans Hopsickle to be over the top bitter. I didnt much care for it actually, which for me is really saying something when it comes to hop juice.
    The more you disapprove the more fun it is for me.

Originally posted by zoom6zoom
    I just picked up some Legend Imperial IPA (from Richmond, VA) this week but haven't sampled it yet. The guy at Norms told me that Legend insists on their brew being refrigerated at all times, so they don't stock a lot of it.
    Did you happen to see their Porter for sale as well? I'm curious to see if I got a bad bottle or if their porter always tastes like that...

Originally posted by Insidious Rex
    This is interesting Top 50 Double IPA's

I can barely find 15% of this list in stores or bars around here though. Why not bottle some of this stuff? Is this just a supply and demand thing? Not a lot of bud drinkers venture into the double IPA catagory Im assuming?
    Why? Lots of reasons. I think you might have hit one - demand. Also, Russian River (and others) don't yet bottle their DIPAs - whether due to lack of demand or lack of capacity/time to do so. Many DIPAs come from brewpubs, where the best you might do is a growler fill - some do also bottle, but not many in my experience.

My favorites:
    Moylan's Moylander DIPA
    Smuttynose Big A IPA (2005 version) - notes here:

http://www.smuttynose.com/pages/comments.html

Originally posted by fretlessman71
    Did you happen to see their Porter for sale as well? I'm curious to see if I got a bad bottle or if their porter always tastes like that...
    How did you het legend's Porter in CO? It's a very small local brewpub with limited bottling. Are you sure it's the same brewery?
    myLocal-Home-Brew-Shop
    Your ultimate hobby headquarters.
    (703) 241-3874 * www.myLHBS.com

Yep, it's the same brewery. Got my bottle in a trade with chazwicke (I made a lot of trades to get different porters for my porter thread). The bottle had turned sour - bad. I was hoping that a fresher bottle would turn out better, but emailing the brewery has had no effect...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast