Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Serious Hops

I didn't see their Porter, but wasn't really looking that hard. Since they insist their distributors keep it cold, it may not travel well.

I had the Imperial IPA last night, and while I can't describe it competently, I must say that I liked it a lot. While very hoppy, I thought it was well balanced, with the hops not overpowering the malt. Very good head, nice mouthfeel, and a beautiful dark honey gold pour.
    They say you must take the bitter with the sweet - I say I'll take my bitter by the pint!

On tap: Blue & Gray Classic Lager
    On tap: Sweet Cherry Stout
    On tap: Hard Cider
    In Secondary: More Cider!
    In Primary: Mead (Raspberry)

I didn't see Victory's Hop Devil, so I'll add that to the list. It's not as insanely hoppy as some of the others but it's definitely up there. "Like sucking on a penny in the middle of a pine forest." was my first thought.
    Up Next - Maison de l'aimé (bier de garde)
    Bottle Cond.- Petrus Hefeweizen (Pete's Wheat)
    Enjoying - Dire Weasel Java Stout,Claymore Scottish 80/export.

Originally posted by zoom6zoom

I had the Imperial IPA last night, and while I can't describe it competently, I must say that I liked it a lot. While very hoppy, I thought it was well balanced, with the hops not overpowering the malt...
    ...which is more than you can say for some IPAs. Sounds like a good competent description to me!
    So many beers, so little time off...

www.michaelolsononline.com - Drop in and say hi! WAY better than the old one.

Legend describes it thusly on their page:

A big, crisp Ale that is hopped to the extreme. A Combination of Pale Ale, Bonlander Munich and Carapils Malts to which a very, very, generous amount of hops has been added gives a balanced 126 IBU beer.
    They don't say what hops they use... all I can say is that it was yummy, and I'm going back for more.

Also, Norm's told me that Clipper City Brewing is releasing a triple IPA soon. I recommended that they call it Aye-Aye-AyePA!
    Last edited by zoom6zoom; 10-06-2005 at 04:40 PM.
    They say you must take the bitter with the sweet - I say I'll take my bitter by the pint!

Here are some of my favorite big hoppy beers

Rogue I2PA, Old Crustacean, and Brutal Bitter
    FFF Dreadnaught IPA
    Stone Ruination IPA
    GD Hercules IPA
    Two Brother's Hop Juice DIPA
    SN Bigfoot
    DFH 90 min

honorable mention
    Bert Grant's Hopzilla
    Bell's Two Hearted Ale
    Bear Republic Racer 5
    "When in doubt, add more hops." - John Maier

I didn't see Blue Point Brewing's Hoptical Illusion anywhere... KILLER IPA... Also Avery Brewing's Maharaja Double IPA... Not hoppy but totally extreme is Dogfish Head's Raison d'Extra... Hard to find but worth it... Also Flying Dog's Gonzo Imperial Porter rocks... Get the limited edition signed bottle if you can and save it $$$

The Gonzo is the hoppiest porter I've ever had - I need to lay a few bottles down to let them age a bit. It actually tastes a little green to me... sure hope they're smoother come springtime or so. Welcome to the board!
    So many beers, so little time off...

www.michaelolsononline.com - Drop in and say hi! WAY better than the old one.

3 F's Alpha King
    Hop Juice
    SN Celebration Ale
    Goose Island IPA on occasion

hop 15 has been bottled, don't know if they're still doing it though, i think it was an anaversary thing, maybe why they bottled? hop juice rocks! i just blew a keg of it! alpine bottles thier pure hoppieness but not the exponential that i am awear of.
    yulesmith is probably my fave! as triple h mentioned russain rivers pliney the elder and PP's franks dipa are some of the best. pliney the younger is....well....................hot damn! i love that one but i think vinnie was calling it a triple ipa??? can any one back me up on this?
    oh and the DUIPA was pretty tasty too!
    To some its a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group.

Originally posted by fretlessman71
    Did you happen to see their Porter for sale as well? I'm curious to see if I got a bad bottle or if their porter always tastes like that...

Norms is where I got that bottle from, Fret.

Originally posted by AxlLives
    I didn't see Blue Point Brewing's Hoptical Illusion anywhere... KILLER IPA... Also Avery Brewing's Maharaja Double IPA... Not hoppy but totally extreme is Dogfish Head's Raison d'Extra... Hard to find but worth it... Also Flying Dog's Gonzo Imperial Porter rocks... Get the limited edition signed bottle if you can and save it $$$
    Norms email said they were getting in the Raison de Extra today.

I've not had any Legend beers since Brad left as head brewer. But I will say when Legend first started their porter was the beer everyone sought after. It was simply delectable. And Legend was known for it. But that was many moons ago and they have been through a couple brewers since then. I Have not been to Norms in a while but when i do go next time, I'll look again for a bottle that is fresh. The last bottle I sent came from Norms too.

They were out of the Raison d Extra when I was there Monday.

Originally posted by hopjack13
    pliney the younger is....well....................hot damn! i love that one but i think vinnie was calling it a triple ipa??? can any one back me up on this?
    Yeah thats what Russian River officially calls it: "...the 'Younger' is a triple IPA. Pliny the Younger is hopped three times more than our standard IPA, and is dry hopped four different times." Ive never had the pleasure of having this one yet. It says its 11% and everyone Ive heard describe it says it goes down as if its barely half that potent. Sounds like an amazing and dangerous brew...
    On the chest of a barmaid in Sale
    Were tattooed the prices of ale
    And on her behind
    For the sake of the blind
    Was the same information in Braille

I'm drinking Stone's 9th right now and it is very hoppy. Not as bitter as an IPA, more like an APA, with a looooong floral finish. Reminds me a lot of some Victory hop juice I had last fall that was THE hoppiest beer I have ever had. Can't remember what it was called but it had a cartoonish California gold prospector on the label.
    myLocal-Home-Brew-Shop
    Your ultimate hobby headquarters.
    (703) 241-3874 * www.myLHBS.com

That would be Victory's Hop Wallop. Yeah, that one is great too. I forgot about that one but now that you've reminded me I can't wait to get some this winter.
    "When in doubt, add more hops." - John Maier

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast