Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA

$6.99 a bottle in baltimore
    "If I had to live my life over, I'd live over a saloon"

Picked one up

I picked one up last night. Drinking it now.

I expected more hop flavor. A lot more.

I'm drinking it "cool", but not "cold".

Alcohol and hops seem to cancel each other out, leaving a barleywine flavor with a hoppy aroma.

As it warms up a bit, the alcohol seems to beat down the hop flavor a bit .
    Have you accepted beer as your own personal savior?

----
    Primary:
    Secondary: APA. (Went into secondary at 1.010. Guess that mash temp really was a touch low.)
    Drinking (HB): club-brew Pils
    Drinking(Commercial): 3F Alpha King, Goose Island Oatmeal Stout, Sprecher Black Bavarian, Sprecher Abbey Tripel, Patron Anejo Tequila

If you're looking for a extreme IPA with lots of hop flavor I recommend Founder's Devil Dancer triple IPA. It's 13% and has a nice hop flavor balanced by the malty sweetness. And it only costs around $13 for a 4 pack compared to $8 a bottle.
    "When in doubt, add more hops." - John Maier

Originally posted by Ill hophead
    If you're looking for a extreme IPA with lots of hop flavor I recommend Founder's Devil Dancer triple IPA. It's 13% and has a nice hop flavor balanced by the malty sweetness. And it only costs around $13 for a 4 pack compared to $8 a bottle.
    How did you like the Devil Dancer? I personaly liked it and thought it was the hoppiest beer I have ever tried.

I thought the DD was great. Definitely one of the hoppiest beers I've had but I thought it was pretty well balanced with the sweetness and alcohol. I just got some Hop Wallop which I remember thinking was the hoppiest beer I'd ever tasted last year so I'll have to compare the two.
    "When in doubt, add more hops." - John Maier

I just had the Hop Wallop for the first time a couple weeks ago (a restaurant in town is actually carrying it on tap). Whoa, a great beer.

As far as the Dogfish Head 90 versus 120 discussion, I prefer the 90 Minute Ale. I can't say enough about the 60 Minute Ale, too. Another fine, fine beer.

I like the 60 as well and usually have that at the pub. Next spring, I'm gonna put a sixtel of it on my kegerator.

Picked up a 4 pack of the 90 last night. Payed $10.99 for it. Kind of pricey, but I plan to save it for New Years Eve. I would like to try to get a bottle or 2 of the 120, just for comparison. My local store was out, but I haven't exhausted all of my resources yet.
    "I have a dragon in my garage" - Carl Sagan

Primary: Schwartzhund Lager, 7 Point IPA(Centennial IPA)
    Secondary: Nothing
    Lagering: Schwartzhund Lager
    Bottle Conditioning: Nothing yet
    Drinking: Pumpkin ale, Lawnmower Wheat Beer, Oatmeal Sweet Stout
    Up Next: Corky's Happy Wife

For New Years Eve, I tried the 90 minute and the 120 minute. I have to say, I preferred the 90 minute. I found that the 120 was too sweet, and the alcohol taste really came through. I bought 2 bottles at $9.99 per, and I plan on putting one of them up until next New Years Eve, just to see if there is a difference after aging it.

The 90 minute was a HUGE hit, even with people who normally drink swill. It was a bit pricey for an "all the time brew", but I can see getting some for special occasions.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.
    "I have a dragon in my garage" - Carl Sagan

Primary: Schwartzhund Lager, 7 Point IPA(Centennial IPA)
    Secondary: Nothing
    Lagering: Schwartzhund Lager
    Bottle Conditioning: Nothing yet
    Drinking: Pumpkin ale, Lawnmower Wheat Beer, Oatmeal Sweet Stout
    Up Next: Corky's Happy Wife

I just happened to hear some good things about Dogfish and decided to try it after being a Miller Lite/Yeungling drinker. Thats what sparked my interest and brought me here. I just got their book, but haven't read it yet.

At the restaurant here in DE, they charge $10 for a bottle of 120. Of course, I didn't know this until the bill came. I went looking for it at the local liquor stores, and it's about $7.99 everywhere. The 120 is an awesome brew that is surprisingly good for as strong as it is. My favorite so far is their 90 because it just seems to be balanced better than their 60.

I also enjoy their WWS and recently tried their Old School Barleywine which was amazing. I've left the restaurant on several occasions after drinking 3 beers and maybe some of the sampler feeling pretty darn good! Surprising thing is that I feel good the next day. Must be the quality ingredients.
    Nothing like the smell of boiling wort.

Quality ingredients, to be sure. Must be it. Welcome to the boards!
    So many beers, so little time off...

www.michaelolsononline.com - Drop in and say hi! WAY better than the old one.

Welcome to the board. Do you live near the pub? I visit it occasionally. The tour is interesting too. It is at the brewery in Milton on Fridays and Mondays at 3:00PM.

Thanks guys! I live up in Middletown, which is about 1.5 hours away, but I'm down the beach every weekend in the summer and it's only about 20min from the beach house.

I do have to find the time to go on the tour though, sounds like a good reason to leave work early on a Friday.
    Nothing like the smell of boiling wort.

So when should we expect a Dogfish Head 150 Minute then? Not that I want to pay $20 for a 12 ounce beer...
    On the chest of a barmaid in Sale
    Were tattooed the prices of ale
    And on her behind
    For the sake of the blind
    Was the same information in Braille

Originally posted by freyguy
    I've left the restaurant on several occasions after drinking 3 beers and maybe some of the sampler feeling pretty darn good! Surprising thing is that I feel good the next day. Must be the quality ingredients.
    Actually, their beer is unfiltered, and cotains yeast. Those beers provide far less hangover potential

He who has never been drunk is not a good man - Old German Proverb

Primary: Replacement Beer IPA
    Secondary: Bug Shit Bock
    On Tap: IIRA, Apprentice Amber, Pig Slayer Pale Ale, Yeast Piss Lager
    Up next: thinking....not sure yet

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast