Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA

Originally posted by freyguy
    Thanks guys! I live up in Middletown, which is about 1.5 hours away, but I'm down the beach every weekend in the summer and it's only about 20min from the beach house.

I do have to find the time to go on the tour though, sounds like a good reason to leave work early on a Friday.
    I'm down most weekends too. My beach place is in Ocean City. I keep a kegerator there with two sixtel on usually. The last sixtel I got from DFH was the Raison de Etra and it only cost $30.00 + $10.00 deposit at the brewery.

[B]I just happened to hear some good things about Dogfish and decided to try it after being a Miller Lite/Yeungling drinker.
    wow...wasting no time huh....went right for the big guns!

At least I started with at New Castle after being a Bud Girl for years.

So what else have you tried?

I do have to say that the 120 is by far my favorite out of the 3. I dont see anything wrong with spending a little money on some good beer....
    I've always believed that paradise will have my favorite beer on tap.
    --Rudyard Wheatley

I've yet to try New Castle yet, but I'd like too! I haven't tried a whole lot of serious beers yet, but I did pick up the Sam Adams Winter Variety pack and enjoyed all the beers except for the cranberry beer. I also got a "Seriously Bad Elf" for xmas and loved it. I went back for more, but they were all sold out. I did drink alot of the Dogfish Pumkin Ale around Thanksgiving too. Thats pretty good stuff.

Other than that, I've got an older bottle of Dogfish Festina Lente at home waiting for a special occasion, and a bottle of Sam's Chocolate Stout waiting for the same. The big conflict is that these beers don't mesh too well with my low carb diet, so I'm spacing them out a bit.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
    Nothing like the smell of boiling wort.

I've yet to try New Castle yet, but I'd like too!

New Castle is like my umm Bud if you will. It is the beer you can sit down and drink while eating your dinner.

I also seen that you had a stout waiting for you. Have you tried other stouts? I have to say that I am a stout woman big time. I personaily like the OLD RASPUTIN RUSSIAN IMPERIAL STOUT....mmm. Also, I like the Dominion oak Barrel Stout..another favorite.

But if you want to try some hoppy beers I have a list for you
    Wallop
    hop devil
    alpha king
    you may still be able to find the Alpha Klaus.
    Give those a try and let me know what you think of them.
    --Rudyard Wheatley

Will do, thanks for the reccomendations! I'll be off to the liquor store again.

Originally posted by Thetz
    New Castle is like my umm Bud if you will. It is the beer you can sit down and drink while eating your dinner.

I also seen that you had a stout waiting for you. Have you tried other stouts? I have to say that I am a stout woman big time. I personaily like the OLD RASPUTIN RUSSIAN IMPERIAL STOUT....mmm. Also, I like the Dominion oak Barrel Stout..another favorite.

But if you want to try some hoppy beers I have a list for you
    Wallop
    hop devil
    alpha king
    you may still be able to find the Alpha Klaus.
    Give those a try and let me know what you think of them.
    Have you tried the Stone Imperial (Russian) Stout? It is my favorite IRS so far, although from what people say FFF Dark Lord may unseat it from that position assuming I can ever get my hands on a bottle. It is seasonal, and comes out in the middle of the summer, but if you have a chance to snag a bomber, do so.
    Primary: Mead
    Secondary: Dry Irish Stout
    Bottle/Keg Conditioning: Weizenbock, Dunkleweizen, Cider, Mead, Porter, IPA
    Drinking: Drunk Santa Ale, Chocolate Vanilla Stout, Ginger "Day-walker" Ale, Owen's Brown Pinkie Ale
    Up Next: Irish Stout, Blackwine, Witbier

mmmmmmmmm, alpha klaus!!! old rasputin kick as as well!! yeah, i wouldnt get your hopes up for newcastle though.

Other than that, I've got an older bottle of Dogfish Festina Lente at home waiting for a special occasion, and a bottle of Sam's Chocolate Stout waiting for the same.
    -Don't be surprised if the Festina Lente is near flat. DFH admitted a problem with the bottling of it years ago and even with Sam's warm storage recommendation, none of my bottles have had more than a whisper of carbonation. Still a tasty beer. More like a tart, still peach wine.

-Do you mean Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock? They make a Cream Stout, but not a chocolate stout that I'm aware of.

Cheers!

A friend told me a local bar here in RI has a keg of DFH 120 Minute in the basement, waiting for a special time to tap it. I didn't enjoy it from the bottle and can't remember the draft sample I had years ago, so I'll be on the lookout for this.

Cheers!

Doh! I did mean Chocolate Bock.

Thanks for the heads up on the Festina. When I bought it, it was in the cooler set at 48 degrees. It's in my refrigerator at home, so I'll have to drink it quick!

I'm dying to get down to DFH and try two of thier new releases, Mandagascar Vanilla Bean Porter, and Burton Baton. They both sound like beers that I'll take a liking to. We went down last weekend but we found DFH closed for rennovations. We ended up at Nicola's Pizza and the best they had was Yuengling. It worked, but we stopped at the lq store on the way home and picked up a couple WWS's, and a six of SN Celebration. The WWS really gives you a kick in the pants after drinking a whole bottle! I really didn't care for the Celebration too much. It seemed to be unbalanced and a bit too much hoppy in my opinion. But I'm a new-b and I've read plenty of reviews praising it. I can't say too much though because about half way through my second, I passed out on the couch. I heard plenty the next day about how loud I was snoring and so on and so forth. I'd like to think it was just that I got up early to go hunting, not all the beer I drank!

Thanks for the heads up on the Festina. When I bought it, it was in the cooler set at 48 degrees. It's in my refrigerator at home, so I'll have to drink it quick!
    Drink whenever. It isn't getting any flatter or more carbonated in your fridge. DFH recognized the problem and recommended a potential solution - warm storage to help carbonate (say, above 70 degrees). Didn't help with my bottles. So, no rush. Still a tasty beer.

Cheers!

I still have a case of 12 750 ml bottles from the original first batch of DFH 120 Min IPA. I paid $20 for each bottle when it came out a few years ago. To me, it tasted like someone put a shot of grain alcohol in a double IPA.

As for a clone recipe, I worked out one on my own, long before Zymurgy published their recipe. Here it is, for those who want it. This beer was made in stages. I did the grain first, got that fermenting, then added the LME at day 3, & the DME at day 5.
    It took 3 weeks for primary, 6 months in secondary. Note: I used 1 gallon of slurry, not a 1 gallon starter.
    The table sugar was added to the boil.

It might not be an exact replica, but it's close enough to not be able to tell the difference side by side with the real deal.
    Hope you guys like it as much as I do.

Dogfish Head 120 MIN IPA
    Recipe Specifics
    ----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.50 Wort Size (Gal): 8.00
    Total Grain (Lbs): 36.50
    Anticipated OG: 1.184 Plato: 41.10
    Anticipated SRM: 18.0
    Anticipated IBU: 151.8
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 72 %
    Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    41.1 15.00 lbs. Marris Otter Pale Malt(2-row) England U.K. 1.038 3
    2.7 1.00 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20
    6.8 2.50 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.030 25
    2.7 1.00 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25
    24.7 9.00 lbs. Light Liquid Malt Extract 1.035 7
    13.7 5.00 lbs. Light Dry Malt Extract 1.046 7
    8.2 3.00 lbs. Cane Sugar 1.047 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    5.00 oz. Chinook Pellet 13.70 93.8 90 min.
    3.00 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.00 34.6 60 min.
    2.00 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.00 17.7 30 min.
    1.00 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.00 5.7 15 min.
    1.00 oz. Simcoe Pellet 12.00 0.0 Flameout
    2.00 oz. Simcoe Pellet 12.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
    -----

White Labs WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale used in a yeast cake from a previous batch of IPA. 1 gallon of slurry used.

Mash Type: Single Step
    Grain Lbs: 19.50
    Saccharification Rest Temp : 150 Time: 90
    Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 30
    Sparge Temp : 168 Time: 30

Looks like the latest batch of 120 has been delayed and will not be bottled for about a month or so.
    A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

I would have to agree with everyone that says the 120 is not hoppy. I dont find that it is over the top with hops....just dont see it. I have to say that the 120 is my favorite. I mean the 60, 90 and the 120 all have different taste. They are all good in their right.

The World Wide Stout....now that is what I am talking about. MMMM. Thats the way to go....I would take the stout over any of the ones listed above.....(ok it would be a toss up between the 120 and the stout. Depends on my mood)
    --Rudyard Wheatley

Found a great store in Jersey that has plenty of 120 from 03, 04, 05 and the World Wide Stout in several vintages also. A few years worth of JW Lees in all their various forms, Hardy's vintage etc., etc. I was tripping over cases of Rodenbach Grand Cru and their Flemish sour ale. They had at least a dozen SA Utopias in the case. I had to get out of there. Everytime I went to the register, I ended up doing a 180 and taking another stroll around and throwing another bottle or two in the cart.
    A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast