Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: American Pale Ale

My Weeping Willow Ale is an amber and normally shoot for BU:GU of .5. I also like to have malt and hop flavors showing up for the party. That requires lower IBU's and no hop additions pass fifteen minutes. I have also found that some age on the beer is better for it. Weeping Willow gets into its own about 2 months in the bottle following by a week in the fridge. That has been my experience YMMV.
    a post by Mad Scientist:
    FWIW, SWMBO and I were working the house the other night, when she asked my if I knew how to soften hardened caulk, I told her "a cop tapping on the window should do it...."

Drinking: Dundee sample pack
    Bottled: Berry Wiezen (keeping one)
    Big Primary: Bleach
    Small Primary: Weeping Willow Ale #4
    Next: Meh

And once again ya'll are steering me away from my initial ideas But that is why I come here is to get guidance.

I'm looking at a 1.052 with 33 IBU's right now, which is like a .63 BU:GU ratio - a bit higher than you're all recommending. My worry is that bumping the malt is going to end up making this thing have a higher terminal gravity than the style calls for.

Interesting you say no hop additions past 15 minutes where the style guidelines to say some versions are dry hopped. I was planning a .5 oz addition of Cascade at flame-out (the 33 IBU cited above does *not* include this flameout addition) just cuzz I never dry hopped before. Yes, I know flameout additions and dry hopping aren't the same, but my readings tell me that you'll get less of a grassy flavor doing the flameout addition, but still get some nice aroma.

The hops plan right now is listed below. As always, give your feedback, boys.

1 oz 7.4% Cascade for 60
    .5 oz 9% Cascade at 30
    .5 oz 9% Cascade at flameout
    Primary: Nothing
    Secondary: Mead... still
    Conditioning: Nuttin'
    On tap: English Bitter, Moose Drool clone
    In bottle: Ganny's Apple Sauce(d) Cider... still

Quote Originally Posted by JayShaw91
    Interesting you say no hop additions past 15 minutes where the style guidelines to say some versions are dry hopped.
    No hops in the last part of the boil will keep the hop flavor down. Dry-hopping will add to the aroma. (I think I remember that correctly -- King?)

S.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Jay, you're using leaf hops, right? have you accounted for that? Leaf hops usually give slightly less IBU than equivilent weight of pellets....

He who has never been drunk is not a good man - Old German Proverb

Primary: Replacement Beer IPA
    Secondary: Bug Shit Bock
    On Tap: IIRA, Apprentice Amber, Pig Slayer Pale Ale, Yeast Piss Lager
    Up next: thinking....not sure yet

Quote Originally Posted by steveh
    No hops in the last part of the boil will keep the hop flavor down. Dry-hopping will add to the aroma. (I think I remember that correctly -- King?)

S.
    You are correct, Sir.
    -Beerking
    "Asking whether computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim."

Inventor of the Rauch HellerBock style of beer!
    GABF 2008 Pro Am Silver medal! (Rauch HellerBock)
    1st place Smoked/Wood Aged Beer - 2008 Longshot NE Region

Jay,

I wouldn't use a 30 min addition for this beer. move the 30 to 20 or 15 and that'll boost the flavor and lower the bitterness.

Also, for a comparison recipe, take a look at CampAJohn's Mac & Jack's African Amber clone recipe here on page 1 of this thread. It's a really nice malty American Amber (both the real deal as well as John's clone - he's in my brew club and he's made the beer several times for us. It's quite good.).
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

Cool, thanks, boys!

Mad, yes, leaf hops, and BeerTools know they're leaf. Good call there!

I like the idea of moving the second addition to 20 minutes. That shaved off 3 IBU.

BD, what about the flameout addition? Dry hop instead? Style guidelines do mention dry hopping. Maybe I'm obsessing on this...

I like a flame out addition because the heat draws some level of flavor too.
    Your choice, of course. There's room here in this style to play.
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

Right on. If it is too hoppy I guess at worst I call it an APA, huh? As far as BeerTool is concerned, the recipe sits pretty much right in the middle of all ranges for an Amber, but on the low end of the APA bittering.

That's the only problem with these two styles - they overlap far too much.

American Ambers came from American Pales, that is why they overlap.
    a post by Mad Scientist:
    FWIW, SWMBO and I were working the house the other night, when she asked my if I knew how to soften hardened caulk, I told her "a cop tapping on the window should do it...."

Drinking: Dundee sample pack
    Bottled: Berry Wiezen (keeping one)
    Big Primary: Bleach
    Small Primary: Weeping Willow Ale #4
    Next: Meh

It really is all about the malt, though in an amber. Generous use of Munich/Biscuit/Victory malts help build a nice malty finish.
    -B'Dawg

Here is my grain bill. It looks like I had the right idea in mind, BD. 1.051 OG, 1.014 FG. Too sweet?

9Lbs Pale ale malt
    .5 lb crystal 20
    .5lb crystal 40
    1lb munich
    1lb amber
    1lb Victory

Not too sweet, but be sure to send me a bottle, I'll let you knkow what I thhink.

He who has never been drunk is not a good man - Old German Proverb

Primary: Replacement Beer IPA
    Secondary: Bug Shit Bock
    On Tap: IIRA, Apprentice Amber, Pig Slayer Pale Ale, Yeast Piss Lager
    Up next: thinking....not sure yet

Ha hah... maybe we should think about doing a trade some time.

Thanks as always, boys. I'm going with this and we'll see how she turns out.

I think that looks good, too. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.
    -B'Dawg

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast