Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: American Pale Ale

If you add the honey to your fermenter after fermentation starts it may retain some of the honey flavors, but in the boil all you'll get are the 100% fermentable sugars.
    I have never brewed a cream ale but I think part of their characteristic flavor comes from a corn addition, maybe a pound of flaked maize instead of the wheat extract in your original recipe.
    It's always time for a beer

On tap:Oatmeal Stout, ESB
    Primary:Imperial HoppyRoggenbier
    Bottled:2006 crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Black Braggot,2 Prickly Pear Meads(1996 and 2006),Sour Pumpkin
    Lagering: Pecan Rauchbock
    Secondary: apple cider vinegar
    Next: Sticke Alt

Would I have to do a mini mash with that maize or would I just steep it with the gambrinus and biscuit?
    "Nothing matters
    but flopping on a mattress
    with cheap dreams and a beer."
    -Butowski

Bottled: Maiden Voyage Imperial Stout, Dumpster Fire Cherry Ale & Belgian Dubbel
    Primary: Nothing-YIKES!
    On Deck: American Chauvinist Ale & Demon Concubine Black IPA

Take a look at the recipe I posted in the wheat beers thread here called "Orange Blossom Special". It uses 3lbs of Orange Blossom honey and is a true "Woman pleaser", if you know what I mean
    (Seriously, it's a 6.9% beer that drinks like its 4.5%. One of my buddies nicknamed it the "Panty Melter".)

http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/...ead.php?t=3581
    Last edited by BrewDog; 11-29-2010 at 07:54 PM.
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

I like panty solvent beeter

He who has never been drunk is not a good man - Old German Proverb

Primary: Replacement Beer IPA
    Secondary: Bug Shit Bock
    On Tap: IIRA, Apprentice Amber, Pig Slayer Pale Ale, Yeast Piss Lager
    Up next: thinking....not sure yet

The first batch I ever brewed was an APA, and I loved it. The flavor was great, bitterness nice, but I think I can do it better the 2nd time around. Here was the recipe I brewed the first time:

6.6#golden light LME
    1# Crystal 40L
    1oz centenial 60min
    1oz cascades 15min
    1oz cascade 5 min
    1oz cascade dry hop
    US-05 ale yeast

OG: 1.042
    FG: 1.010

The beer was a little on the thin side, so I think I will up the amount of extract to 7 pounds or so to try to bring both the OG and FG up a bit. But my biggest problem was that the beer was very "one-note" tasting, probably due to the fact that I used exclusively cascades for the flavor. To me, it seemed a bit heavy on the grapefruit and lacked any other complexity. To add this complex flavor profile I am looking for, should I use combinations of different hops? What times, maybe more mid boil? Does anyone have any suggestions for what hops would compliment this and add more than just the citrus/bitter flavors I got the first time?

Thanks in advance!

Simco, Amirillo,and some Columbus.
    Last edited by MootsLnbKing; 02-27-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    Drinking:Hydrometer sample.
    Up next: Gumballhead clone,Surly Furious Clone
    Primary:Scottish120/?,Simco/Warrior Red, Dogfish 90min Clone.
    Secondary:nadda
    Bottle conditioning:Belgian Imperial Stout,Wee heavy Bottled:Olde Ale,IPA,APA Black IPA steam beer.

+1 on Amarillo & Columbus. I find Simcoe "catty".
    Try a bit of Chinook for a flavor addition for some piney notes to add complexity.
    Also, i'd consider throwing in about 3/4 cup of maltodextrin powder in addtion to moving up to 7 lbs of extract.

HTH-
    -B'Dawg

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime. - Nuco Gordo

maltodextrin just makes it thicker, right? I am a little unsure of what it is/does exactly. Also, along with changing the hop types, would you change the time schedule of additions at all?

Quote Originally Posted by davisjon
    maltodextrin just makes it thicker, right? I am a little unsure of what it is/does exactly. Also, along with changing the hop types, would you change the time schedule of additions at all?
    It increases body.
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

I think the time schedule is fine. Also, I personally like Simcoe. It's another citrusy hop, but not like Cascade. It's got more of a tropical flavor. You could try that mid-boil and some Chinook to break up all the citrus.
    Primary: Nothing
    Secondary: Mead... still
    Conditioning: Nuttin'
    On tap: English Bitter, Moose Drool clone
    In bottle: Ganny's Apple Sauce(d) Cider... still

With all your suggestions, I have come up with a new recipe that I think I will try out, although it has turned into more of an American IPA than APA.

Palindromic IPA
    8 # LME
    1 # Caramel 40L
    .5 oz Columbus 60 min
    .5 oz Simcoe 20 min
    .5 oz Chinook 10 min
    .5 oz Cascade 10 min
    .5 oz Cascade 5 min
    .5 oz Chinook 5 min
    .5 oz Simcoe dry hop
    .5 oz Columbus dry hop
    1 pk. nottingham yeast

OG: 1.058
    FG: 1.012
    Color 13 SRM
    Alcohol: 6.1%
    Bitterness: 60IBU

I entertained my humor by dry hopping with the bittering hops to make the hop schedule palindromic. Would there be any problem with this, or what flavors could I expect. I really don't want to overdo the grapefruit of cascades like I did last time, so I was thinking of dry hopping with something different, but still citrusy.

Quote Originally Posted by davisjon
    With all your suggestions, I have come up with a new recipe that I think I will try out, although it has turned into more of an American IPA than APA.

Palindromic IPA
    8 # LME
    1 # Caramel 40L
    .5 oz Columbus 60 min
    .5 oz Simcoe 20 min
    .5 oz Chinook 10 min
    .5 oz Cascade 10 min
    .5 oz Cascade 5 min
    .5 oz Chinook 5 min
    .5 oz Simcoe dry hop
    .5 oz Columbus dry hop
    1 pk. nottingham yeast

OG: 1.058
    FG: 1.012
    Color 13 SRM
    Alcohol: 6.1%
    Bitterness: 60IBU

I entertained my humor by dry hopping with the bittering hops to make the hop schedule palindromic. Would there be any problem with this, or what flavors could I expect. I really don't want to overdo the grapefruit of cascades like I did last time, so I was thinking of dry hopping with something different, but still citrusy.
    Looks great, If you want to keep it out of the IPA range, you can always Hop Burst it, which basically means you add all of your hop editions at 30 mins or less left in the boil, it produces an insane amount of hop flavor and can help keep the bitterness from being to over the top.
    The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Author of Bizarre Brews 101 Now for sale online!

http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000460972

Or Just Google Bizarre Brews 101!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567